Can only start and ride with my choke open?

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
So, I guess its been this way a whole now, I can only get it started and ride with choke open, switched down, As soon as I flick it up and close it, the engine shuts off instantly. Even after a few min of riding....

This isn't right, right? I mean, I should be driving with the choke closed I am assuming? I figured I was spose to start it with the choke open, and close it a couple min later...

Its the 66/80 flying horse NTTC carb.... could it be I need to have a bigger jet?

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Also, it doesnt seem to matter if the idle screw is in our out a bit... I dont see any air leaks, everything is pretty tight and sealed as far as I can see...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So, I guess its been this way a whole now, I can only get it started and ride with choke open, switched down, As soon as I flick it up and close it, the engine shuts off instantly. Even after a few min of riding....

This isn't right, right? I mean, I should be driving with the choke closed I am assuming? I figured I was spose to start it with the choke open, and close it a couple min later...

Its the 66/80 flying horse NTTC carb.... could it be I need to have a bigger jet?
You got it backwards.
When the choke arm is down the choke is off as in the plate is NOT blocking the air flow.

When you pull the arm up the choke is ON as in the plate is blocking the air flow.
Take the air filter off and you will see how it works.

Pulling the lever up is supposed to kill the engine.

Also, it doesnt seem to matter if the idle screw is in our out a bit... I dont see any air leaks, everything is pretty tight and sealed as far as I can see...
All the idle screw does is raise the slide just like you were turning the
throttle a little bit.

Last edited:

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
yea that's what i ment lol, sorry. , so when would I WANT the choke on? When it's cold? Just to get it flowin...

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Some engines need to be choked some don't, one of my bikes has to have full choke before it fires up. If you don't have to use it to start yours that's ok, in cooler weather you may need to.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
You choke it to to get a fuel rich mixture to start the engine ONLY. Once it's running the choke should be opened. A lot of the time it.wee. really boils down to what the engine likes, not necessarily the letter of the law in the instructions. Mine doesn't care for the choke or primer at all on a cold start, just drop the clutch, full throttle for about one second, close the throttle and it's running. Hot starting shouldn't need a choke as a general rule.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
If you really need to keep your choke closed to keep her running (hope we've figured out which way is closed) then you are running too lean for some reason. Could be your jet is kinda clogged? Could be you have an air leak somewhere and your not drawing enough through the carb to pull the right mixture, maybe you need to jet your carb a bit larger? One thing for sure, she should run with the choke opened....