Help needed with Friction roller

GoldenMotor.com

Peter16

Jun 24, 2012
Australia
I recently bought your typical 66cc kit for my mountain bike and i am having a ball riding and tinkering with it. While i wait for parts for it to arrive in the mail i figured i would try and keep myself busy.

I acquired a weedwacker and just for fun would like to have a go at mounting it on one of my mini bicycles. Below are 2 photos of what i have to work with. I am figuring out how to mount the drive wheel onto this piece. At the moment i am thinking some kind of grub screw.

thank you

Peter16

Jun 24, 2012
Australia
I wont be buying any kits for this. Looking for ideas that can be made from things around the house or a quick trip to the hardware store.

I made a wooden roller with a screw straight through it. Worked for about 2 minutes. i just need a more suitable medium that i can put a countersunk nut and bolt through.

Sorry for the bad pictures, they are stills from an iphone video.

thanks for the replies

Peter auflg

KINGPEP

Jul 7, 2012
homer
Hi Peter, I have been using an 13/16 socket that I rough up with some sand paper and hack sawed some x-shaped grooves into it, so far it doesn't work to bad.

JohnnyCrash

Jun 28, 2012
Earth
Hi peter,

If you want to use the existing weedwacker clutch make sure you pedal up to a fair speed before applying throttle, these clutches use metal-on-metal contact and are not intended to slip while transmitting power. You need a clutch with friction material on the shoes to start from a standstill. The all-metal clutches will either weld themselves together or wear out very quickly while making a deafening screeching noise :)

Also keep in mind that, if you homebrew your roller & mounting bracket, that the roller needs an outboard bearing--just putting a roller on the crankshaft and letting it stick out is asking for trouble. Ideally, the roller has its own 2 bearings, one at each end, with the tire between them, and the engine's crankshaft sees no radial load from the contact pressure of the roller on the tire. You can use a timing belt to drive the roller from the engine's crankshaft, this gives some pre-reduction which allows a much larger roller diameter, giving a larger contact patch between roller and tire--reducing wear and 'chewing' of the tire.

Have fun :)

Ian