Board Track Racer Projects

GoldenMotor.com

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Thanks Kirk.....I will probally have to leave it up the spring maker...I have several photos of the buggy leaf spring on the Excelsior...It has 3 leaves with 2 that wrap around the main leaf for safety.... I will have to work out the balance weight with a rider at the pivot point of the rear wheel...probally 300lbs with the motor I will be useing.......I am 150 lbs ... but a lot of 6 ft people would be 220lbs engine 60lbs...frame and wheels 60lbs?.....

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You could use a older snowmobile spring they have three leafs and can take one out if to stiff. Thats what I am useing (not done yet but close) and I am useing two leafs to start...............Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt....I live in a climate where we dont have snowmobiles.....I will have it made as I want to have the 3" wrap around....The Excelsoir pushes the spring up wards I think thats why is has the loop like a buggy spring ..giving a softer ride....give better handling...Waiting on some bearings so I can get on with making the fork head...

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
A good hardware or Farm supply store will carry replacement springs for small trailers, In fact I saw some locally for less than $20.

But if you want the authenticity and extra cushion of a Excelsior/Indian front return style you will likely have to have one custom made or use a actual antique.

Spring making is a real art form & not easily mastered!

However with the talent exhibited here daily it wouldn’t surprise me if someone answers, “Hey I can do that!”

-Kirk

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Kirk ... Spring making is an art and requires technique to heat and cool at least 2 times... I would rather pay to have it made...and not have the worry of a failure when hitting the first pot hole...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Curt....I live in a climate where we dont have snowmobiles.....I will have it made as I want to have the 3" wrap around....The Excelsoir pushes the spring up wards I think thats why is has the loop like a buggy spring ..giving a softer ride....give better handling...Waiting on some bearings so I can get on with making the fork head...
I am going to atemped to bend my own I have allready made a fourm to bend around. I have seen old car guys bend springs through the years and had good luck with it. Some of the snowmobile springs that I got were bent perty good just from hitting something..............Curt

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Curt... I would worry that if I sold it in the future that it would break and kill someone...I have bent and rolled springs as well ..they crack where you heat them and you cant see it ..thats why they have several heat proccess's so this dont happen...they also dip the spring in oil while its extremly hot as well....if the spring is bent on the snowmobile it must have a soft setting ..I had tipper trucks for 25 years ... the springs would clean break..and you could see the rust crack where it snapped......

Have been working on the rear fork ends and roughed out the front fork rockers...I will use the milling machine to finish the contours off...got the bronze bushs for the pivot points and the head stem bearings....these are nice have a seal that sits on the back of the bearing sleeve....

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...Have done a bit more...got the fork head tube cut and have machined up the two carry bush's to hold the taper bearings on each end of the steering tube...still have to press the bush's onto the tube and taper them from the bearing cone to the steering tube...You are probally saying ..why are you using this size bearing..25mm ID-49mm OD....I wouldn't use a bicycle bearing head set on something with a V twin can do 80 to 100 MPH...The Yamaha V 250...will do 100 MPH and this bike will be lot lighter...Once I have this completed I will make the sleeve tubes to weld onto it at the correct angles for the frame tubes..I will make the rear frame triangle first ..as this is the usual way to build a bike frame from scratch...Have to give some thought for a jig to set it all up in as I progress...
Received some tires to day for my 21" rims...a pair of dunlop 3.00 21...These look like a a smooth road tire with very small groves ..they will be overall 26 1/2" in height...works out a lot cheaper than importing Simplex....

Attachments

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi...Have finished the machining of the bearing carriers for the steering head....I will sweat braze these into place...I have made one slightly bigger ..I will use this on the bottom of the steering tube to take load from the forks...

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker....I had a 12 " swing lathe but had to sell it when we moved recently..as I dont have the workshop space for the bigger lathe.....I am getting by with this benchtop lathe ..it half the size and is slow as you can only do small cuts at a time...Have cut the front frame sleeve tubes in milling machine using hole saw to cut radius and angles...cut a template just to get the angle right...will cut a better shaped brace when I tack it all to gether...

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... Have cut down and resized a yamaha (gt500) steering shaft to suit my frame head...needed to machined to the shaft to fit the tapered roller bearings I'm using...I can now start to do a drawing for the forks steering head plates....also have been setting up a jig to make the rear frame triangle.....

Attachments

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ... Thanks ..C.C.C ... robwizard... This will take some time...theres a lot of study of photos and thinking as I'm making parts ... trying to think ahead on what is required...
Havent found a frame for my bike (49cc) Thor...project yet....

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi ...Mightyboosh....Have been to their site and had a look at the parts....I will make all the parts I require for this project....or use commercial motor cycle parts that I will modify to suit the build.......

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Mightyboosh....A lot of these firms have their parts manufactured by outside contractors..and its a waiting game for delivery...if your worried I would email or better still phone them and talk to the owner of the firm and find out when you could expect a delivery.....there is usually a reason behind slow delivery of parts......