Predator/Cranny 2 speed

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Well the 99cc fits in the Cranny well. My 2 speed tranny worked real well on my FD build, so I decided to experiment with a standard drive. I haven't decided which I want to use for final drive, chain or belt. Kinda leaning towards a belt, although I already have the chain and sprockets.
IMAG0100.jpg

I have a 2 sheave cent clutch, but I may not use it. I like the bump start ability of my manual clutch version.
i

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You sly dog! Building a Cranny. Actually You cant hardly buy a frame for the cost of the Cranny. Even if you throw most of it away its still a good deal. Im still ridin about 95% of mine, and it is a fun bike. I like the auto clutch because this is my parade bike, 4th of July, etc., smooth take offs, will run at a walk. People of all ages love it. Im sure you will have yours cruising at 40+. Watching with interest.

tn97kouki

Sep 17, 2011
tn
(^) Are you going to do 2-speed or single speed . I think the final drive would but great whichever way . I bet the belt would be much more expensive but it would be smmoth . If you decide to sell the dual sheave setup please let me know .

tn97kouki

Sep 17, 2011
tn
I would be very interested in a kit . I live in East TN and a 2-speed is almost required ( At least to enjoy the ride ...lol ). Have you thought about making a kit that would work with the 49 cc and the predator with a few changes ?

tn97kouki

Sep 17, 2011
tn
Sounds great . I look forward to seeing your progress . i have considered switching to the predator but my hs50 is still a good engine . I guess I will have to break it before I replace it . How does the torque of the predator compare to the HS ? Would a predator be sufficient without a 2-speed ?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The Predator has twice the power and torque of the HS 50. It does fine with 1 gear and a cent clutch. My Predator build started out like this, DSC_1530.JPG
and I sorta miss the simplicity.

tn97kouki

Sep 17, 2011
tn
So do you think a single speed predator would be comparable to a 2-speed HS 50 ? Do you think it would be better to get the AGK jackshaft or a custom build if I wanted the motor located like on your cranbrook ?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
A single speed Predator with a cent clutch will out perform the HS 50.

Either method will work just depends on your skill level.

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
I am a little confused, on the first pic you posted, the output shaft is on the left side of the bike, and on the second pic, it is on the right.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I am a little confused, on the first pic you posted, the output shaft is on the left side of the bike, and on the second pic, it is on the right.
The second pic was a fricton drive with the clutch on the jackshaft with it's bell against the tire as a fricton roller. Worked great, but I later developed a single belt with idler clutch on this build, DSC_1604.JPG

then I took it farther and developed the 2 speed belt tranny.
IMAG0016.jpg
It works so well that I decided to try to build one with chain drive instead of FD.

The second pic is going to be built as a chain drive. The motor has to be mounted reversed from the first pic to have rotation in the right direction.

Still waiting for parts and aluminum plate ect to arive to proceed with the 2 speed chain drive belt tranny.

Last edited:

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Does the 79cc or 99cc predator engine mount using the same mount from the 49cc huasheng kits? Interested in doing a HF predator build. What's the minimum number of parts and steps needed to get a stock HF engine-powered bike? EZM transmission and a new chain? Can I use my existing throttle cable without modifications? Can't find a DIY or step-by-step tut for doing a HF build.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
wayne, I have the exact same cranbrook, although mine is now orange. I have a couple questions, as I am looking to do a predator build as economically as possible. I do have a custom rear wheel that is double walled steel with 12g spokes. that said, here are my questions. Do you think the cranbrook has the frame strength for a predator in frame standard chain drive setup? I have a 44t rear sprocket. many on this site have advised against putting a preddy on a cranny, but i personally disagree. I know that my frame is steel and I believe it can handle it. i am not looking to do a multi speed build, just a simple qmatic drive or similar to 44t rear. doable?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
wayne, I have the exact same cranbrook, although mine is now orange. I have a couple questions, as I am looking to do a predator build as economically as possible. I do have a custom rear wheel that is double walled steel with 12g spokes. that said, here are my questions. Do you think the cranbrook has the frame strength for a predator in frame standard chain drive setup? I have a 44t rear sprocket. many on this site have advised against putting a preddy on a cranny, but i personally disagree. I know that my frame is steel and I believe it can handle it. i am not looking to do a multi speed build, just a simple qmatic drive or similar to 44t rear. doable?
So far I've got about 100 miles on my new vari speed tranny Cranbrook. No problems at all with frame or wheels. I used the stock cranny wheels with the 12G spokes, but I re-set the spokes and greased the bearings.

Of course the Cranny is kinda experimental and you need to keep a close eye out for cracks or stress. Quite a few here have used Crannys with no frame problems that I've heard of.

The Dax tranny won't work on the Preddy. The qmatic would be a great tranny for your build.

A 44t may or may not be the right size. You need to use the gear calculator stickey in the DIY forum at the top of the thread list to pin that down. Both my preddy builds are 9.75:1 total ratio and they do about 40 mph at about 5000. If you drive in the city a lot, I would go with about 11:1 for better stop and go performance.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
scotto said with the qmatic drive and a 44t sprocket, 5000 rpm's would give me 43 mph. he said the gearing may be a little tall, but doable. I dont plan to run a preddy bike at wot in the city regardless of gearing. I am thinking of using the agk jackshaft tranny, but may just go with the qmatic anyway. not needing a new frame is saving me sme hassle, so the qmatic might be reasonable. I have to do some more looking into all of agk's predator parts to see what is more economical. I can get the qmatic tranny and a motor mount for $300, and the 99cc predator is 100 bucks. so that comes to $400. how is the stock muffler on a predator?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
scotto said with the qmatic drive and a 44t sprocket, 5000 rpm's would give me 43 mph. he said the gearing may be a little tall, but doable. I dont plan to run a preddy bike at wot in the city regardless of gearing. I am thinking of using the agk jackshaft tranny, but may just go with the qmatic anyway. not needing a new frame is saving me sme hassle, so the qmatic might be reasonable. I have to do some more looking into all of agk's predator parts to see what is more economical. I can get the qmatic tranny and a motor mount for $300, and the 99cc predator is 100 bucks. so that comes to $400. how is the stock muffler on a predator?
I would perfer the qmatic because the primary belt drive is way less maintenance and quieter that a chain .

I don't think the Preddy will fit in the bike with the stock muffler. I made my own. Check it out in my thread "New Varispeed tranny build" Start around page 7 for the exhaust
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35942

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
not worried about maintenance or noise level. I will contact agk for proper maintenance instructions before installing the tranny. the jackshaft is slotted for adjusting tension, and less than half the cost of the qmatic. i will see if the stock muffler fits in the frame, if not i will buy one that i know will work.