Another Tylar BTR Build

GoldenMotor.com

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I've been working with Dan for months now thinking of something special. I live down the hill from him and have watched him progress from cutting frames to building them from the ground up. I almost have the motor I want but I'm trying one last time for something super special. I had him make a little larger opening in the rear and fould a near perfect never used lamp from 1914. Almost every lamp I looked at was too old for the build. This one fits in perfect with the teens look I want.

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here are the 2 engines I'm looking at.
Robert, your engine mounts remind me of the 1918-19 Keystone frames which were the newer style frames back then that allowed the engines to be set lower in the frame.

Motorcycle / Keystone ( Marion Indiana ) Frame

Keystone or Marion Frame: An American term to describe a diamond-type frame in which the engine serves as part of the structure.

Motorcycle / Loop Frame

Loop Frame: Early motorcycle frame design in which the downtube curves underneath the engine case and then upward to become the seat-post. The earliest motorcycle builders were adapting gasoline engines to 19th century bicycle frames which then evolved into sturdier chassis construction to hold larger engines within the frame loop.

See the link for these frames below:

Frames - 8 valve racer

Harley Davidson 1918 Keystone Racer

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/history-original-board-track-racers-18232.html

In 1919, Indian debuted its challenger to the Harley-Davidson IOE (intake over exhaust) racers that had dominated American race tracks since 1915. The new Indian challenger was a side-valve derivative of the famous Powerplus which, after its record-setting speed trials in 1920, became known as the Indian "Daytona." The 1919 Indian racer that appeared at the Marion, Indiana Labor Day race featured a "keystone" style frame; henceforth, Indian's version of this style of chassis was known as a "Marion frame."

Harley-Davidson pioneered the use of the "keystone" frame in their successful 1916 win at the Dodge City, 4th of July 300-mile race. The keystone frame was actually a modified loop frame with the bottom of the loop cut away. This allowed the engine, supported by plates, to act as a structural member of the chassis. Although Harley-Davidson's success at the 1916 Dodge City race was due to various innovations (8-valve engine and hemispherical combustion chambers, for example), the improved handling characteristics of the lowered engine position prompted Indian to follow suit.

Robert, just something to think about for a future build that is a Keystone / Marion frame style build with the drop loop removed and using the engine mounts to strengthen the frame.

Peace C.H.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
That motor is awesome Robert!

I'm visualizing one of these new style frames that could easily be built by a couple of amazing builders like SportscarPat & Tylar!

C.H.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Dan from taylor has the frame and fork completed and is waiting for me on the motor. I should know what motor I'm going with by the end of next week. I can resell my Villiers 122cc on Ebay. One just sold for well over $500 and wasn't complete.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Dan from taylor has the frame and fork completed and is waiting for me on the motor. I should know what motor I'm going with by the end of next week. I can resell my Villiers 122cc on Ebay. One just sold for well over $500 and wasn't complete.
Congrats Robert, and thank you for sharing this build and for letting us all know about Taylor Motor Bikes.

Could you please post the link to the youtube video of Dan showing his builds, I can't remember where I saw the link to the video Interview.

Peace C.H.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Why didn't I think of Googling it myself thanks Robert!

Here's the youtube Link:
Taylar Motorbikes --Motoredbike Magazine Spotlight-- - YouTube

His builds are pretty cool, and he offers the Torpedo / Cylindrical style gas tanks that were used on Indians & Cyclones BTR's

Thanks again for sharing the info and this builder Robert!

C.H.

Here's his contact info:
Taylar Motorbikes. 661-341-0192.
[email protected]

Motoredbike Magazine goes to VIctorville, CA. to speak with Dan Taylar from Taylar Motorbikes about his new company.

Check out MotoredBike Magazine | Ridin' Hard for the full article and awesome pictures.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Thanks for finding his video. He's a good guy. He is working on something cool for my friend Kris but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag. Kris will also have some updates pictures for me on my build. I'll post them when I get them.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I traded my wife in for a 1920-30's villiers motor. It was a win, win. The motor came in today and I also found an Albion 3 speed gearbox from the 1920-30s. It's the same gearbox that comes on my 1930s motorcycle. The gear box won't be in until late November. I will deliver the motor to Dan after I get the gearbox. He is going to put old style Harley/Indian like bars on it along with fenders.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Looks like I'm not the only one after the Albion boxes, I just two in the mail on Monday of this week. They're nice little units for sure, compact,fairly light and totally cool. The clutches are a bit funky, let me know if you find a source for them. I saw your post over on the classic motorcycle forum and I left you a quick reply.

keep us in the loop....

Rich

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I need a clutch if you have an extra. I don't have a connection to them but I do have a uk ebay account and joined a few uk British motorcycle forums. What are you using your on?

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I have options, I don't really have any active builds at the moment, but I was planning on thinning out the herd a bit more (way too many bikes) after which it would go on a Sportsman 200. Pat says the 200 motors are so damn torquey that there is no need.

I've seen these boxes on Whizzer powered bikes, and those bikes were heavily modified and very fast. I am converting my first China motored bike to a Whizzer, so who knows what might I might do with that chassis.

I got a great deal on the boxes I got, and they're complete and actually in pretty nice condition. The shipping was a shock -way more than I spent on the boxes, but it took less than a week to get them. Fillman engineering sells internal goodies for these, including a little sleeve that you slide over the input shaft that will then accept a std 3/4 shaft centrifugal clutch. Thats cool, but if you go that route you won't be able to kickstart the bike.

So there it is....

Rich

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I hadn't read the complete post here, didn't realize you had one of Pats racers. Well I have racer 1 -the blue bike, I put my little Albion up to my frame and I gotta say that it looks like a natural in the making. The Morini's are great road bikes, but because they're small displacement single speed bikes they could really use some gears. If you drive the Albion direct, and utilize the clutch in the Morini, you'd end up with an autoclutch three speed.

Hows that for innovation? Just remember, you heard it here first!

Last edited:

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Speaking of the Sportsman, I promised the wife I would sell it after I get the 1935 Coventry Eagle going. Well I thought it would never get done so I started playing around with ideas with Dan from Taylar cycles behind her back. Well she's finally caught on...after months. Lol. Well, now she wants both gone. I told her that the Taylar bike was a business denture with Dan and I'm paying for parts and he builds it for free but I have to ride it for advertisement. So...I can't sell it. I think she knows its bull but doesn't have the energy to argue it with me. Anyway, Pats bike is fon and I put about 30 to 50 miles on it each week. If you know anyone interested in let me know. That is, if she rides me on selling it.