Racing Cam and X-tra Big Bore Carb from AGK install

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just putting on some performance parts from AGK to make my 49cc more competitive on the race track. Removed engine side cover to access the cam and inspect the inside of the Huasheng that's been run 88.8 hrs. so far. Only thing noted is the valves needed adjusting badly. Everything looks clean and in order other than that.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Just putting on some performance parts from AGK to make my 49cc more competitive on the race track. Removed engine side cover to access the cam and inspect the inside of the Huasheng that's been run 88.8 hrs. so far. Only thing noted is the valves needed adjusting badly. Everything looks clean and in order other than that.
yea i just got done with mine too yet to test drive it.. when you install the cam of course the valves will be far off ita a whole new cam profile.. but stock is rather sloppy i set mine at 007 i might go down to 006

so far other than a slight dead spot in the thortle all is good let me know if you have a dead spot where the engine just dies then comes back at just over 1/4 throttle

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I set my valves at <.006 and it fired right up with no flat or dead spots at all. Engine sounds better than ever, now it's time to install it in my other frame and put the big bore carb on it. Here's a few pics of the cam install.

yea i just got done with mine too yet to test drive it.. when you install the cam of course the valves will be far off ita a whole new cam profile.. but stock is rather sloppy i set mine at 007 i might go down to 006

so far other than a slight dead spot in the thortle all is good let me know if you have a dead spot where the engine just dies then comes back at just over 1/4 throttle

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I set my valves at <.006 and it fired right up with no flat or dead spots at all. Engine sounds better than ever, now it's time to install it in my other frame and put the big bore carb on it. Here's a few pics of the cam install.

i notice you put the arrow where the dot is? terry from blow by you told us to put the dimple on the same side just below the arrow on the opsite site in line with the dimple.. now im confused

ive been haveing engine issues lack of power maybe this is why my engine is 180 out of time?

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As pictured, the cam (actually the piston) is at TDC on the compression stroke. This is where it needs to be to set the valve clearance properly. Terry is wrong.

I hope you're using Hondabond 4 for re-sealing the case cover and valve cover.

dnut

i notice you put the arrow where the dot is? terry from blow by you told us to put the dimple on the same side just below the arrow on the opsite site in line with the dimple.. now im confused

ive been haveing engine issues lack of power maybe this is why my engine is 180 out of time?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
As pictured, the cam (actually the piston) is at TDC on the compression stroke. This is where it needs to be to set the valve clearance properly. Terry is wrong.

I hope you're using Hondabond 4 for re-sealing the case cover and valve cover.

dnut
so the arrow on the back side of the new race cam meshes up with the dot on the crank gear? do i have to make sure its at tdc before lineing up the arrow?

see if you watch terrys videos he just says turn the crank till the dimple is at the top then theres a slight dimple on the cam transfer that to the back side with a scribe then line that up with the dimple on the cam.. as i did that the arrow points up

wait your useing a honda engine and 5/8 shaft im useing a hs with tapered shaft maybe yours is suspose to be the arrow on the dot mines suppose to be oposite...

no regular hi temp rtv sealed up fine

ive ran my engine it starts and idles fine but theres a dead spot and hesitation and feels like half the power of my stock set up.. ughh..

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Click on the 3rd pic down from the top, that will enlarge the pic and then look closely....... dimple on gear meshes with arrow on cam. I don't watch Terry's vids cuz I'm working on my bikes.

My engines are HS, one with 5/8" shaft, one with tapered shaft and cent. clutch.....both use same cams.

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Click on the 3rd pic down from the top, that will enlarge the pic and then look closely....... dimple on gear meshes with arrow on cam. I don't watch Terry's vids cuz I'm working on my bikes.
yea thats why im asking i saw the pic i said wait he ran it like that.. terry told us diffrent dang i hope this didnt screw my motor.. then again its running like it is if it was all off it shoulndt of ran..

i emailed agk the makers of the cam hopefully they can explain it better

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
What would you say is the install time frame for cam and carb? Looks like a great upgrade for the four stroke. Would also be interested to know what kind of mpg you end up getting once complete.
I'm thinking of going with a q-matic and this kind of upgrade might make me consider going with the 60 tooth sprocket if the extra power can hand some hills.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
What would you say is the install time frame for cam and carb? Looks like a great upgrade for the four stroke. Would also be interested to know what kind of mpg you end up getting once complete.
I'm thinking of going with a q-matic and this kind of upgrade might make me consider going with the 60 tooth sprocket if the extra power can hand some hills.
well both of us are in testing trials to fine tune and work out the bugs then comes the mpg

these motors really dont have the power to climb hills flat land and small grades only

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
The HS 4 stroker is not the torque monster of my dreams but to date I'm pretty impressed with its pulling power. Im 240 pounds and it is scooting me up the basic hills nearby.

I am going to give it a harder test tomorrow with a couple mile climb with a few taller sections.
If your installs provides for some reasonable power gains then all the better.

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Any updates on the carb and cam? Did you get a noticable power increase? Worth the investment?
not yet, ive pulled the carb apart to clean and shaved off the ears to the air fuel mixture setting seeing how you cant adjust it more than 1/4 turn either way now i have full adjustment..

so i think its a combo of that and the needing a bigger jet at certain throttle like say just over half...

im waiting on the jet in the mail.. so well see

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey Tahq, once you have the gearbox removed, the cam install and setting the valve clearance should take you less than an hour....no prob.

Bolting on the carb shouldn't take any longer than that as well. The carb I'm bolting on is a punched out stock carb from AGK that is actually bigger in bore size than their big-bore carb for the 49cc engines. The beauty of this set-up is it's a direct bolt-on that doesn't require special throttle linkage like their available big bore carb.

I'm still building this bike so I have not been able to put it to the test yet. I will be racing it at Grange and that will be a real life test. I'll keep you posted as I should have it finished this week end, hopefully.

dnut

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Bolting on the carb shouldn't take any longer than that as well. The carb I'm bolting on is a punched out stock carb from AGK that is actually bigger in bore size than their big-bore carb for the 49cc engines. The beauty of this set-up is it's a direct bolt-on that doesn't require special throttle linkage like their available big bore carb.

dnut
Great plan, keeping the throttle linkage simlpe is always a better way to go. Is the carb a custom job or are they vendor sold? I'm looking to mod intake and I like your set up.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Great plan, keeping the throttle linkage simlpe is always a better way to go. Is the carb a custom job or are they vendor sold? I'm looking to mod intake and I like your set up.
'm testing it for AGKThey machined it to see how it compares to the big bore they sell (which is a Keihin) and the regular stock carb. Let's just say they are thinking ahead and also of ease of installment. Stay tuned....

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I finally swapped the engines on my bikes, putting the hopped-up newer engine (49cc HuaShengs on both) on my old Black Ale for racing. Got the carb on as well today and will fire it up tomorrow and see how she runs. My ol Black-n-Blue is is retiring from racing as the frame got tweaked. Still no cracks in either aluminum frame and they both have some serious miles on them.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I got a real kick out of you guys talking about the dimple and arrow. Even in the large version I had a hard time seeing it! Just getting old I guess!!

Terry

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Sign on to follow thread. Scotto- are you using the honda cam AGK sells or is there a new product I haven't seen yet for the HS??

R/Mac

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
'm testing it for AGKThey machined it to see how it compares to the big bore they sell (which is a Keihin) and the regular stock carb. Let's just say they are thinking ahead and also of ease of installment. Stay tuned....
If testing goes well is this a product that may be available in the near future? Sounds like it might be a better option for me then the current larger bore carb. I would hate to buy the current carb just to have the improved version offered two weeks later.

AGK seems to be on the ball with the new 4 stroke offerings.