Comet Clutch Question for Briggs

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a Comet Clutch from a gokart supply place and I had a couple of questions about mounting it.

It seems that the driver part of the clutch needs a shaft that is 2 3/4" long. Unfortunately, I already cut my shaft down to 1 1/2" to make it the slimmest profile for pedal clearance. Other than buying a new crankshaft for the motor, are there any options for mounting?

I guess this question is mostly for briggsbiker and msrfan. They seem to have done this already with a Briggs engine. But I do not know how often they visit here, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gilbert

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I've had to lengthen cranks before...chamfer the end of a slightly oversize stub to ensure good weld penetration, weld it to the end of the crankshaft, then machine it down to the same diameter. Do it right and you can't even see where the pieces were joined.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a Comet Clutch from a gokart supply place and I had a couple of questions about mounting it.

It seems that the driver part of the clutch needs a shaft that is 2 3/4" long. Unfortunately, I already cut my shaft down to 1 1/2" to make it the slimmest profile for pedal clearance. Other than buying a new crankshaft for the motor, are there any options for mounting?

I guess this question is mostly for briggsbiker and msrfan. They seem to have done this already with a Briggs engine. But I do not know how often they visit here, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Gilbert

Hey Gilbert, the comet is held on with a bolt to the center of the shaft. I guess you already cut your too short. If there's enough keyway left you can drill and tap what's left of your shaft and hold it on that way. If that's too shaky you can just mock it up that way and replace your crank later. I have not installed a comet on anything yet. I plan to shortly. Did you buy a complete kit with the plate that mounts to the side cover of the engine and supports the built in jackshaft? Briggsbiker already had a jackshaft on his bike and just put his driven unit on it. Looks like your Roadmaster has a similar setup. Will you retain your belt final drive?

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Goldy, I don't really have access to a lathe for machining, but I guess I could look into a shop doing the work. If I could weld well and had a lathe, adding that bit of shaft would be the way to go.'

Msrfan, I bought a drive clutch and driven clutch separately from a place called gokartsupply.com. They both have a 3/4" bore, so I won't have to alter my jackshaft to fit the driven clutch. I do plan on keeping the belt drive for the final drive.