New Member - First Build

GoldenMotor.com

chorlick

May 17, 2011
Madison,Alabama
Hi all.

Im a new member here and im working on my first build. Ill be sure to include some pictures soon. Just to start id like to say that im building a motorbike from a Poulan Wild Thing 18" chain saw and im adding it to a schwin lakeshore bike. Currently I have two questions:

1) Why is it that no one mounts the motor over the real wheel?

2) Im sure this has been asked a number of times in the past but whats the best way to deal with the clutch bell sprocket problem? ie Mounting the two together.

Thanks!

Jneff

May 15, 2011
florida
i rarely see a motor mounted over the rear wheel. i'm not sure why it's not more common, but on reason i wouldn't like having a motor mounted there is because there would be no room for a cargo rack.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All the rear friction drives are over the rear wheel. Well the motor is off to the side, but the drive is over the wheel.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Look forward to seeing it Mike.

The reason i think a lot of people dont mount the motors on the back is looks. A motor sitting inside the frame just looks so damn good. Another reason is bikes handle better when the weight is lower to the ground.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here is my latest build. 2.5hp friction drive. Its queit smooth and powerful. It may look out of balance but you never feel it riding it. Has a bag that goes on the front carrier to carry whatever. If I have a long trip to make this is the bike of choice. I have 6 other MBs and they each have their charms, but this one is the most pleasant(and mechanically simple and reliable) of the group.

Attachments