a strange world we live in.

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
yesterday japan had that earth quake, and then the huge tsunami that actually did most of the damage. america's on the brink of financial collapse, but obviously we're going to send aid to japan, right? so i thought about it and the worst natural disaster america has had in my life time that i could think of was hurricane katrina. i figured i'd see who helped us out, because if no one helped us, why should we always be helping everyone else?, especially when we look at our owfinances as a nation. having just turned 13 when katrina hit, and being before the huge financial crisis in 2008, i really didn't pay attention back then.

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thats the list of of countries that sent aid to america to help hurricane katrina victims a few years back, or at least offered it. you've got afghanistan, iraq, iran, cuba offered a huge amount of aid which we rejected, and tons of countries which would generally be considered "third world countries", all offered to help the global super power america.

i just think its especially strange that people that we drop bombs on, or are not on good terms with at all are still willing to offer or send us money and supplies when we have a huge disaster.

obviously now that iv'e seen the list i'm totally ok with our government sending help to japan considering whats happened. i just think it speaks volumes about the human race as a whole.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I'm for humanitarian aid... even if they don't reciprocate. if you do a good deed it is best not to expect one in return.

what I am against is giving very large blank checks to sovereign nations without any accountability of where the money goes afterwards. a good deal of the money is given under humanitarian terms... but eventually ends up supporting oppressive regimes or subversive activities.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
When I read the list I was very surprised at some of the offered assisstance. What really surprised me was the American State Departments handling of the Cuban and French offers. People are dying, and politics still gets in the way. Geez. Not only that.....where was the media coverage. Not morbid enough to sell?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
I'm for humanitarian aid... even if they don't reciprocate. if you do a good deed it is best not to expect one in return.

what I am against is giving very large blank checks to sovereign nations without any accountability of where the money goes afterwards. a good deal of the money is given under humanitarian terms... but eventually ends up supporting oppressive regimes or subversive activities.
the thing is that our economy is still in the gutter, so handing out millions of dollars to people who have never helped us in the past just doesn't seem like a logical choice to me, which is why i looked into it and i ended up being pleasantly surprised.

now that iv'e seen how katrina relief went down i'm quite ok with our government offering help to other countries after something like the tsunami in japan, or the earthquake in haiti, or the flooding in pakistan a while back.