Hawgthorne!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Well been workin on a new one thought i would put some pics up. Been kinda loosly following the plans i got off a website for a powerd bicycle. Im using a Briggs 5 hp engine . First attempt at building a tank. Guess it turned out ok need to seal inside with kreem and will take a lot of bodywork. Im working on a kick start dont kno if its gonna work or not.Have a long ways to go but heres what ive got so far.:-||

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow BlackHog, she is gonna be cool!

There are 2 great threads on kick starts. Dunno if you saw them.

Keep posting, looking forward to seeing how she comes out.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Of course it's going to work...I know where you're going with this, it's like the first one I did with only a 3HP Techumseh, the five ought to boot it along very nicely. The tank looks great, but I would suggest you don't rely on Kreem to seal it, get it leak free right from the start, then apply it as insurance...Believe me I have put this stuff in enough motorcycle tanks to know what it's good for. Belt drive I suspect???? Looking great, keep us posted :)

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Thanks guys for the kind words.Hows that welder workin out dan? Makes it hard to go in the house doesnt it?LOLYeah goldy i was gonna fix the pin holes i got before i sealed it didnt know how far you could trust the sealer have never used it before. Whats the best kind to use? Seems like everyone on here uses the Kreem brand would appreciate your opinion.Lovin your BSA build cant wait to see the end product if its anything like the other two builds of yours it will be awesome.Always loved the british bikes thats all my dad ever owned. Ive got his 64 Thunderbolt needs to be restored. He has owned two of them an AJS 3 Triumphs and a Norton. He was always fond of the Beezers though. wish i had the money to get the Thunderbolt back together,will one day. Anyway yeah its belt drive.

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Getting back to gas tank sealers, POR-15 is supposed to be much better than Kreem, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet as it isn't as easy to find a local dealer. What I have been doing with the motorcycle tanks the past year or so is sending them out to the local radiator shop to get them cleaned and lined...this stuff is GOOD, but get it done BEFORE you paint...I had them ruin a brand new paint job on me last fall. I've restored five A65 (both Thunderbolt and Lightening models) in the past six or seven years, sold my own 'bitsa' last fall; I miss it, but it did go to a very good home. Going to use the foot clutch and idler pulley, or a gate and lever?...or are you going to go all civilized and use a centrifugal clutch? :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
PRO-15 needs a rusty surface to stick so run a little acid in it to etch it first. Then water to rust it. Realy good stuff

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Civilized? ha ha never been accused of that before. Its foot clutch and idler. Have a lever on my other bike one thing about it it cuts down on people wanting to ride it .Curtis as far as the rust at the pace im goin it will happen naturally lol.Thanks for the good advice guys. good luck with your projects!!!!

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I would keep it...seems to me like it belongs there and sort of balances out the whole look. The foot clutch assembly looks great too. Bravo-Zulu!

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
How is your belt going to work on this bike? Are you going to bring it back up and put an idler pulley on the rear of the breather? I really like where you are going with this bike and it is looking killer. I do have one comment regarding the breather. It looks good where it is, but take a look at the placement of the later model Simplex Motorcycle breathers. That would look great also.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
thanks bob, ezheimers appreciate the compliments. Yeah bob theres a tensioner in front of the breather. Still dont know about the breather found another one guna try an see how it looks.Ill try and post pics tomorrow of it and my exhaust and get your opinions on it.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
got some more stuff done the last couple weekends. Finally not buried in snow dont know bout you guys but ive had enough of the white stuff.Mounted the exhaust and tried out a different breather.Bought a ten dollar seat at the town junk store needs work but so does everything else i own.LOL!!mounted a headlight need to find a lense for it. went ahead and ran a fuel line. I know i jump around a lot but dont always have what i need to finish one job. Been thinking about gettin some worksman wheels with drum brakes for the front if not all ill have is the coaster brake on the rear. Would like to rig up a linkage to run the drum on the front instead of a cable.Heres the latest pics. as always your coments and suggestions are welcome

Attachments

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
watz up everyone?Been awhile since ive posted anything on here . I havent made a whole lot of progress on the bike Think ive gotten the brake linkages sorted out. tryin to figure out the throttle stuff now need to come up with some old grips for it. Gave up on the kick start . just guna find the old style starter pulley you wrap the rope around. Heres some pics of what i have so far.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Man that is too cool, i love it.

Im glad to hear the POR tank liner is a quality product, as i just bought the kit the other day and looking to use it very soon......

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, it's been awhile. Good to see you working on the bike some more. I've liked it since I first saw what you were up to. Love the raw, "I am a riding machine" look of it. Keep posting pictures as you go.
SB