my new build! wooden gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
hey all, i have sold off the "dirty hairy" mtb and have started to build up an 80's CCM 10 speed cruiser, the engine takes up so little space in the frame that i can bring myself to put that ugly peanut on there. i would like to build a gastank from plywood and im hoping someone can offer up a suggestion on an inner coating?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I suppose you could line it with stainless steel. Do anyone here on the forum know if RTV sealant would hold up long? I've done a bit of thinking on this one and, gee, a wooden gastank is a tough plan. Hey!, what about a nitril bladder of some kind, you could build the wooden tank around it.

perichbrothers

Jan 17, 2010
san diego
You could seal it with some epoxy.
A good trick is mix the epoxy with some lacquer thinner to make it more watery,
it will end up soaking into the wood better.
Do that until you think its totally coated, 2 or 3 times.
After that shake some regular epoxy in there to thicken it up.

TP

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
since i made this post im thinking more towards a copper pipe tank.... the wooden idea while sounding nice and all is just going to require a hellish amount of work to make leakproof and proper. so its wood veneer riveted to the side of the copper for me lol

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
since i made this post im thinking more towards a copper pipe tank.... the wooden idea while sounding nice and all is just going to require a hellish amount of work to make leakproof and proper. so its wood veneer riveted to the side of the copper for me lol
I like your Idea of a wooden gas tank, Hey, I've used a plastic milk jug for years to store gasoline, they DON'T leak. Build the wood arount the milk jug???
Jim
.trk

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i have tossed that idea around. i wonder what i could do? i dont want the tank to be any wider than 3-4" the only problem is a dead solid answer to some sort of epoxy sealant that wont cost me a fortune

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You could seal it with some epoxy.
A good trick is mix the epoxy with some lacquer thinner to make it more watery,
it will end up soaking into the wood better.
Do that until you think its totally coated, 2 or 3 times.
After that shake some regular epoxy in there to thicken it up.

TP

Yeah, that won't work for very long before the epoxy disintegrates.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I agree with Bikeguy, I have had milk jugs with water in storage that have developed cracks and leaked. (It took me awhile to figure out why my cupboard was getting damp)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
unless i figure out a slick way to seal up the inside nice and easy.... keep the ideas comin. i wonder if wood will reach a saturation point like my old diesel soaked ramps
the only answer to this, is petroleum based im sure.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Good epoxy (MAS or West System) outa last a loooong time (boats use such fer fuel tanks alla time) but is a lil pricey - it's the polyester, vinylester resin type (cheap) that turns to goo in short order... but I'd still recommend lining the epoxy saturated wood surface with a good tank liner like 'Kreem' or w/e you choose for a tank that'll last forever...

Thing is, after all the expense and labor - I'd seriously consider making a fiberglass tank (w/West or MAS, MAS is cheaper). If yer after the wood "look" - it's easy 'nuff to embed a veneer ;)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I worked at a place that sold aircraft fuel tank sealants. You can seal almost anything with the 2 part grades, they come in liquid (gloopy) form or a paste and have differing cure times. Pour the mixed glop in, wearing the correct protective clothing, having first read the health and safety instructions. This stuff is toxic and you do not take it lightly.

Then you slosh it round and round inside the tank to coat it fully (you can thin with an appropriate solvent to make it easier).

Failing that, make up a wooden case and use a proper steel or plastic tank made for the job inside it.