new bike worked, now wont start

GoldenMotor.com

kittybear

Jan 20, 2010
Lake Charles, LA
We have a grovey skyhawk motor. On Sunday by husband completed and we rode all day around the neighborhood. Need some adjustments with the carburetor. My husband sealed the carb. to the intake tube and taped up a few wires. Now today 3 days after our last ride, we can not get it to start. It is not firing. We have checked the spark plug. I read on one post to have clutch engaged, ground spark plug and spin back tire to check for spark. If we did it correctly we did not see a spark. Any suggestions would be great. We were so pumped up about us having fun on this bike and now we are frustrated. :-|

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
As I assume you have read a few of the posts here,1. change the stock plug for the ngk and use a quality spark plug wire.
2. Try taking the kill switch out of the scenario -blue to blue and black to black, white wire taped up and out of the way.
3. If those dont resolve the issue, do a search here for "no spark/ no start" there is a ton of info on here! I have a similar problem last week and found a faulty wire at the magneto, never would have figured it out with out the help from this forum!
Good Luck!

kittybear

Jan 20, 2010
Lake Charles, LA
Yay, we found the problem. When he was tapping up all wires together (like a good mechanical engineer) the black wire connection came loose. It is running great now! And this is a great forum, we are learning a lot.

Geaux Saints!!!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm glad you found the problem, the lil things are always the most elusive heh

Given the vibration and all-weather use these bikes are exposed to - you may wish to consider soldered connections, or even my personal fave, electrical connectors scavenged off a motorcycle/moped and resoldered (suppose ya could get 'em new - but where's the fun in that?). With a touch of anti-corrosive it's the best of both worlds, secure wiring that's easy to disconnect for maintenance :D Heat-shrink tubing is an excellent low-cost compromise too.