Hey Joe

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
joe had one he should be able to give me a hint. I know you have to drag start them which would be a pain in this area but with the emotor it should be a breeze also the two might give me good speed and good range. Coast on the gas suppliment it with e for speed and power. Its a small engine.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
never mind I got outbid rofl....
Too bad ... I was looking forward to reading about the build.

I think it would be neat to have a bike with gas/friction drive on the rear and an electric hub motor on the front. The gas motor could do the "heavy lifting" and the e-motor could be used to ride quietly through town. Somebody somewhere must have this setup.
.trk.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I agree neither drive would have to be very strong. The small thirty five or so cc gasoline and a 300watt or so emotor would be a good combination. The motor to start it up and the gasoline to cruise and run up the hills. A little e help on those if needed. I wonder if the gasoline engine would recharge the battery since the wheel would be turning the motor in generator mode. Might be something to look at there.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I agree neither drive would have to be very strong. The small thirty five or so cc gasoline and a 300watt or so emotor would be a good combination. The motor to start it up and the gasoline to cruise and run up the hills. A little e help on those if needed. I wonder if the gasoline engine would recharge the battery since the wheel would be turning the motor in generator mode. Might be something to look at there.
That sounds possible ... but I don't know enough to say whether or not the recharging would work.? You know what Yogi Berra said:
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." ;)

But even if the gas motor won't recharge the battery, it still sounds like a good system. The recharging can always be done at home as usual.
.trk.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes i figured the battery would be used only now and then so it could be small and lighter weight. I was thinking of just a short bobtail trailer with the batteries hanging on either side. Just a small 24v system Since it wouldn't be used much it should be pretty easy to do. I wouldn't bother with an expensive hub motor but go with a cheap scooter motor and friction drive on both wheels.

I wish I could figure a way to convert the rhino drive to gasoline. It would be idea but the banking of the chain drive beat the last motor I had to death trying to run a generator. I think the wheel would be just as bad or worse.