49cc vs 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
put it this way i weigh 210 pounds my first kit was a stealth black 80cc slant head wich i was more than pleased with, then after i sold it i decided to try a starfire gen II 48 cc engine wich sounded great bigger ports, better bearings blah blah blah just to realize that i ned the power of the 80cc (66cc) vs the 48cc i mean the engine proved reliable although i didint get a chance to put more than 500km on it before i swaped to another 66cc i bought of bgf and im quite pleased with it

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
well for me its not a fair comparison as i learned all the doos and donts on my stealth such as replace your mounting studs with some higher grade studs i had mine break flush in the engine and the engine being aluminum got damadged wen i tried removing the rest of it so it got so bad i had to cut a square piece out of the engine were the stud was threaded into and i used a new square piece roughly same size as i cut out and just bolted it to the engine ans then covered it with jb weld and it held for as long as i had that bike wich wass like 2000km, and my bfg i tore it completly apart before even starting it and threw in skf bearings and i used "the right stuff " for all the gaskets,changed studs and locktighted everthing so this engine (the bgf) has been really good to me but thats not a surprize

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I need a chart to follow that last comment! All I have to say as a vendor is I have tried every engine out there , I have to give the hats off to the 49cc, now i mainly deal in 80cc but the 49's are less noise and less vibes.... You do lose power but maybe 5mph.. I like them and are great for cruising..

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
that and in most states a 49cc doesn't require license/registration/insurance, whereas anything above 50cc generally does, so at least with the 48cc you can swap out the 44 tooth sprocket and drop to say a 36 and still get comparable speed (less pickup though) and still be less one ticket should an officer really want to hassle you..Here in Michigan you need a license even for the 49cc, a 15 buck add on to your car license and a tag on your bike..

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
What A Good 80cc Motor To Get I Mean Witch One Most People Use On There Bikes Somthing That Last A Long Time.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
ive come to the conclusuion its all hit and miss sometimes you get good motors and sometimes your luck just isint that good i can say im happy with my bgf and ive herd lots of good things about them

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I'm happy with my Dax so far, although it does make a lot of random noises. As far as I can tell though that is normal and as long as I have power I'm set.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i have a 48cc happy time engine, i can keep up with/ catch up to cars on the local 40kph-limit roads, so realistically they're probably going about 50-60kph, no complaints

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
i concur with the hill climb as well jet80 slant is the same as the bgfslant kit minus the big frt mount and the longer clutch arm. i have a bgf on my personal bike and it really rips and makes no crazy noises and believe it or not barely vibes.. on the other note i bought a gen 2 grubee49cc for way more money than the jet or bgf 80cc slants and its in a box in 10 pieces what a junk

Reactions: stevo4200xx