clutch / gear / engine oil??

GoldenMotor.com

jimmyjimbobjames

Nov 29, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,

I had some clutch issues so i decided to remove the gear/clutch plate on the right hand side to have a look if there was anything obviously wrong.

While opening it about 10ml of dark grey / black oil came out of this area. Any ideas if this is normal? I emailed my engine dealer and got a response that an oil seal might have blown... I didn't know there was an oil seal...

Any ideas?
Thanks.

jimmyjimbobjames

Nov 29, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
My clutch wasn't engaging.. I seem to have fixed that issue now although it still isn't 100% back to normal, but at least the engine is working again...
I'm worried that this oil slick is/was important...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the oil seal is under the front small gear on the clutch side the seal is for the engines crank case if it is leaking you will need to replace it.
By removing the front gear using the gear puller pop out the seal replace the seal and gear then you will be back in business.
Most kits come with a gear puller. the front gear is held on by a big slotted screw. I show how to do this tear down on my 2-stroke repair center sticky posts I think its the total tear down post. nope not there I put a link at the bottom for you.
the seal can be bought from the vendors here on the forum. I think the vendor in the top left side has them for around $5.00
A good sign of a seal leaking will be black oily poo and have a gas smell to it ,grunge seeping from the
seal area.
look here it shows how to get the gear off.
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motor-bicycle-clutch-301.html

Last edited:

Harp

Jul 3, 2008
I also have the exact same problem. I only ran my bike for 10 minutes, and realized the clutch slips quite abit. So i opened up the clutch cover and the clutch plate and found a oily liquid substance dripping out. Which seemed to be a build up of it due to the cover plate was keeping it in. All my Clutch pads are also ruined and crumbling, which is alright due to I have quite a bit of spare pads left. I came to conclustion that there is a oil leak... somewhere... Im hoping its the seal under the small gear infront , and not a cracked engine block. =(

To take of the small front gear Do I use an impact screw gun to take of the slotted screw than use the gear puller? ... and underneath that should be the oil seal? Is there anything specfic I would be looking for? ... Is it a normal seal thats a plug n play fitting or would I have to use a hydrulic press to insert the new seal?

- Thanks in Advance - Cheers
-Harp