Bicycle Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Which would you choose if price was the same?

• 2 stroke bicycle engine kit

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • 4 stroke bicycle engine kit

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

g day

Aug 9, 2008
i just like two strokes,i thnk they make better power than a four stroke, thats just my personal opinion, espesially with small motors

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
I would pick the 4 stroke as they are better cause of the TLC you have to put into them and they are easier to fuel up, no mixing. Where would you get a 4 stroke for that cheap?

~Mac~

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I like the 2-strokes much better...
I think they look a lot "cooler" that the 4s.
The 4 that I rode felt good once it got up to speed, but it didn't have as much torque as the 2s.
It also had a centrifugal clutch... (I like a real clutch!) & I didn't like that the 4 didn't have engine braking.
All in all... I think that bikes with 2-strokes in them, look & ride more like real motorcycles! (c)
I also think most of the 4s look kinda like Peewee Herman bikes... rotfl

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Seeing I have both I chose the 4 stroke because that is my major ride. The 2 stroke is fun as all anything and is rock and roll with amazing power but when it speaks to me it says "drop your throttle down just a little or you're gonna need a rebuild."
When I ride my 4 stroke it's just smooth EVERYTHING from initial delivery to cruising to climbing hills. When my 4 stroke speaks to me it says "Pardon me. Do you have any Grey Pupon?"

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I'm equally adept with both systems. But for motorizing bicycles, I think I'd stick with the 2 stroke due to their simplicity, power, and ability to use an expansion chamber for a bolt on power boost. When well maintained you can get respectable life out of one and that by using good oil. (BIA TCW rated or good synthetic after the breakin interval)

As light as a bicycle is the power of a 2 stroke can make it feel like a rocket especially when you get into the power band of the motor where it comes alive.
Wheeeeeeee !!!!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I like the light weight and power of the 2 cycle. I don't mind mixing and I carry a bit of oil so I can just pull up to the pump and fill up with everyone else if I run out.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I voted two stroke and I just bought a gp460 to go on my new build.
I do not mind mixing oil & gas.

Gp460 most engine for the money.
Easy to hop up.
Lightweight.

Noise is not an issue .
You otta hear the un muffled harley davidsons here.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Never having owned a 4 stroke my opinion is based solely on my experience with two very good 2 strokers. Both of them have performed flawlessly for me, produce all the power I could ever ask for on a bicycle and I love to tinker. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones who hasn't experienced excessive vibration problems so premature failures of hardware has not been a concern. I don't mind mixing the fuel and I love the smell of the Castor oil I burn. I've ridden a couple of 4 stroke bikes and they are smooth and quiet but the rack mount style is hard to get on and off of and the one inframe I rode had an exposed (unguarded) chain that scared me to death. I might try a 4 stoke some day if the in-frame mounting issues are perfected but for now I like the look and feel of my 2 poppers.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the price wont be the same:
2-stroke $109+ and thats for a ok one
4-stroke $249+ for one with a noisy bad gear box
your choice...

i have a 2-stroke.

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
I chose 2 stroke because of the power to weight ratio. And the smell:) And the ring ding ding :) :) Reminds me of my childhood days and my Dad making good natured fun of my dirtbikes. (He had a Harley, back in his glory days)

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
i aggree more power for a smaller weight
i say a small plastic tank should be installed to inject oil
like a trickle system when the engine is on it powers a small pump to push oil in
why am i smarter than china manufactures?
LOL

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I dont know peoples reasons for choosing a 4 stroke,I am yet to try one.However I Love my 2 stroke,I get kind of a cheap thrill in mixing 1 gal of fuel and having it last me all week,I enjoy the ease of maintainance and learning all the cool little tricks from all you guys to get the most from my engine,Perhaps I would try a 4 in the future but today I am happy.