braking bones

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey Salty,
I'm also a lightning survivor, hit through my left ear in 1995. Lightning left bleeding burns between the eyes, out the forehead and crown where the lightning exited. Lost some hearing and have a traumatic brain injury as it burned some of the front lobe of my brain. No broken bones, though, at least not from that. Glad you made it. Glad I made it, too. By the way, I know of one fellow survivor who was hit while riding a bike in a rain and lightning storm. Not a good idea.
SB

Much obliged Silver.....it takes an intrepid person to survive a million amps.....I laud thee and your friend as well....perhaps we might make a sub thread on this topic.....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Thats cool but dang how long did it take you to recover and stuff did you go tottaly numb and everything? do you even remember well? sorry for all the questions im just curious

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Doubledice,
Since this is your thread and you're asking about the lightning I guess Salty and I are not hijacking it. It is all under the category of getting hurt and more or less healing I suppose.
Yes, it is pretty amazing to survive and lightning injury is something the medical community does not know much about. It isn't in the textbooks so most MDs don't want anything to do with it. There is a tendency to think in terms of the crispy critter theory of either you're dead or just fine. Not so. Often injuries are immediate and sometimes things crop up later on with the connection between the strike and the medical problems not officially made, at least not by doctors. But we survivors know that our lives changed forever in a moment.
The effects vary, depending on the path of the lightning in the body. Some have organ damage and I would say that all have nerve (electrical) problems. Some have damage to bones, joints, ligaments, etc. Almost all report memory problems of both the short term and long term kind. Whole chunks of my past are gone and I like to think they weren't worth remembering anyway. I was unconscious for several hours, was dead and came back. I have since learned of a few others who were declared dead and weren't, surprising all. I'm not sure what that means anyway, "dead". Whatever.
People think of lightning as electricity, but it is more than that. It is galactic in nature, carrying the full wave band including sound, light, electric, microwave, infrared, etc. For some of us it is the microwave that is the killer. We all know that microwave "cooks" so in my case part of my brain got "cooked". There was a time when I could not read or write and had to kind of relearn. I believe in my case that unused portions of the brain became active, rerouting into undamaged tissue.
This thread could go on for a long time, so I'll cut it short. You lose some things in an injury, in your case for now the use of that wrist. It may never be quite right and more prone to injury. As someone suggested in this thread, it also presents an opportunity to fill in the lost time and activity with something else, reading or learning something new... reaching out to others, something. Veniceboy discovered a passion for racing the remote controlled cars. If you allow it, something will fill in the empty space. In my case I lost in the physical dimension and gained in the spiritual. I was a pipe carrier (among Indians that is something like a 'medicine man' and a pipe is not a 'peace pipe', but is a prayer pipe as in a portable alter) before the strike and among some tribes being struck by lightning automatically sets one apart either in a bad way (as among the Navajo) or in a good way as having been chosen for a spiritual path by The Great Mystery/ Great Spirit/God or however you conceive of divinity. Among the Ojibwa it is a positive thing so long as you survive. I think I'll leave it at that. This is getting pretty far away from broken bones and bicycles and may be of little interest.
SB

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
And SilverBear has it pretty much covered in a very informative way.....but if you ever want to know more you can always ask us Doubledice.

Thanks,
Salty.shft.