Is this safe (or possible?)

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hey guys
I was wondering, is it possible to make a go kart with front axles from a rider lawn mower and rear bicycle tires? then a normal metal frame and plywood Fill, skin, body ect.
Can I do this and ride it SAFELY

:-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you want a real answer about if it's safe or not? Post some drawings of what you plan to build... tell us what fasteners you plan to use... how do you plan to build the metal frame?? can you weld? How fast do you plan to go?

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
it really depends on how you build it, you can put perfectly designed go kart kit together and it wont be safe if you dont do it right.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You asked us if we think this will be safe?
It's impossible to tell you if we think it's safe (or not) if you don't show us any plans for structural design...:rolleyes:

I'm curious, how old are you?

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i know people who've built big dollar race cars, who still can't drive them "safe."

and, dude, you're building a go-kart from scratch. who cares about "safe." what are you gonna do, go down to the old folks home and give blue haired ladies rides?

i wanna see you build it, and mount BB guns to it...

(disclaimer. i am in no way encouraging or condoning the unsafe operation of any vehicle, motorized, gravity, or animal or human powered, nor the use of BB guns, or cruelty to old people...)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You seem to have lot of free wheeling ideas about a lot of things and I like that. In my case I reason them out and build on things I have done before. I am one of those people who test component parts then reassemble them.

I am a really lousy welder so I can't be of much help but I do like to see how you think.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
You seem to have lot of free wheeling ideas about a lot of things and I like that. In my case I reason them out and build on things I have done before. I am one of those people who test component parts then reassemble them.

I am a really lousy welder so I can't be of much help but I do like to see how you think.
Thanks!
i go from one Idea to anothe rin the blink of an eye!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Week End,
Nothing is impossible and anything can be unsafe if done incorrectly. And keep coming up with the ideas. We'll be here to support you and offer advice. I'd much rather see you being innovative than sitting in front of a video game wasteing your brain cells.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey, weekend-fun. there's a book called "the boy mechanic." it's an old book, i think popular mechanics magazine put it out. it's got a million crazy-cool things to make. i used to have it when i was younger. you should check it out.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Talk your parents into buying you this 1961 Boy Scout Manual - eBay (item 230380652362 end time Sep-27-09 16:14:57 PDT). When I was your age I'd read my older brother's copy from cover to cover and tried to build everything in it that I possibly could, copper wire and nail electric motor, downhill racers, etc. Could never talk dad into letting me build the toboggan they had in it though. laff
I was never was in the scouts but I really learned a LOT from that book and sadly today's scouting books have nothing even close to what these old ones have in them, how to tan a pelt defiantly isn't in today's scouting curriculum.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Week End,
Nothing is impossible and anything can be unsafe if done incorrectly. And keep coming up with the ideas. We'll be here to support you and offer advice. I'd much rather see you being innovative than sitting in front of a video game wasteing your brain cells.
Tom
You sound Like my dad!
Exept he says "get off that fourm!"laff

Last edited by a moderator:

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Talk your parents into buying you this 1961 Boy Scout Manual - eBay (item 230380652362 end time Sep-27-09 16:14:57 PDT). When I was your age I'd read my older brother's copy from cover to cover and tried to build everything in it that I possibly could, copper wire and nail electric motor, downhill racers, etc. Could never talk dad into letting me build the toboggan they had in it though. laff
I was never was in the scouts but I really learned a LOT from that book and sadly today's scouting books have nothing even close to what these old ones have in them, how to tan a pelt defiantly isn't in today's scouting curriculum.
I am a scout.
We do some stuff, but not as Hardcore as they used to be
My friend, Matt, Loves doing hardcore stuff. So do i :)