HT Bicycle Engine Carb Primer/Vent valve useless...

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Hey guys,,
Anybody else find the primer/vent valve on the HT kit carb useless?
So far 3 out of three have all leaked fuel out around the primer and it makes a mess,,I dont see any real use for it other than it may help the bowl fill up faster when its dry.Maybe somebody has a mod to remove and or plug this useless function up.All my motors start up fine without the need for using it.

Thanks in advance!!

Tom :)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: HT Carb Primer/Vent valve useless...

I suppose if its not leaking unless you're using it, then simply not using it would be the best solution. I never had a problem with the primer button (don't think its a vent valve either, that would allow extra air into the carb), so it sounds to me like your carbs are either defective or somehow installed incorrectly. And that's not a put-down, it happens even to the more experienced sometimes. My 4 stroke carb can be a bit of a pain because it has a rubber o-ring to seal the bowl to the carb body. If I dont get the o-ring seated properly, it leaks like crazy. My advice, look over the carb from the outside and make sure it is installed and adjusted properly. If you don't find anything outside the carb, take it off and look inside for defects. Also if its a cns (red air filter cover) and you are having trouble tuning it, replace it with an nt (black air filter cover). Good luck.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

If you really want to get rid of it go ahead. I would just remove it and plug the hole with JB Weld. It should be very easy to do.

That being said, although I never use mine, it doesn't leak, and none of my many others ever leaked from there either. If yours are leaking enough to be noticeable you probably have some other issue, like your float level is too high maybe.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Ok,,thanks guys,,
Im not really sure how the primer on these works yet,,just by quick peek it looks like when you press the unit in,,it allows air relief out so the fuel will run into the bowl faster,,kinda like a vent,,but only when pushed in,next time i have one off I will check the seat on it,,might be able to get away with just stretching the spring out tighter.If not,,JB weld to the rescue...lol.

BTW-I only see a little wet area around the bowl after a hard ride,,and i know its coming from the primer area,,my bowls are tight also.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

the primer button pushes the float down, which fills the bowl with more fuel for an easier start.

most times it's not needed.

never had one leak on me before. you might want to pull the little cotter pin out from the inside and clean out with carb cleaner to make sure it's not sticking or something.

usually fuel will flow out the front of the carb if you push it too much, not from the primer itself.

there's always a little bit of fuel around these carbs. it'll spray out of the throat and settle wherever, making it look like it's leaking.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Thanks a million bairdco,,
I just was not sure,,it was never a big leak,,just wet around the bowl area,,Ill take it apart ,clean it up,and leave well enough alone.I bet thats whats happening,fuel is spraying out of the throat by the air cleaner,Ive seen that before on other motor's when revved with air cleaner off,,its not running real smooth yet,,still on first tank :)

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Thanks a million bairdco,,
I just was not sure,,it was never a big leak,,just wet around the bowl area,,Ill take it apart ,clean it up,and leave well enough alone.I bet thats whats happening,fuel is spraying out of the throat by the air cleaner,Ive seen that before on other motor's when revved with air cleaner off,,its not running real smooth yet,,still on first tank :)

Thats just the nature of a piston port two stroke without a reed valve to stop reversion.
I've seen good results from intake extensions that increase the volume between the carb and port.
Your results may vary.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj

Yes sir,,
It sure wouldn't hurt to get that spray into the jug instead of out,,I bet a good port/polish job would cut down on it some.Maybe this Winter :)