Advice on first build, which bicycle to use

GoldenMotor.com

camrahtz

Jun 30, 2011
california
Ok so I have decided after long delay to finally start building my bike. I am asking for advice in which bicycle to use. I already have a 66cc 2 stroke engine.
The only thing I am missing is the bike. Also i would prefer a cruiser style

My friend used a micargi stealth and ran into issues with the pedal braking system and since I have decided to go with a bicycle with hand brakes instead of pedal brakes. I just want something that is a good base to build on. I have mediocre mechanic skills so an easier build would be great to. i just really want to stay away from the coaster brakes

Also i would like to stay under 275.00 for the bicycle.

What about buying a bike like Schwinn Point that has gears and no coaster brake and then just removing the gears???

And what happened to spookytooth cycles they still around?

Thank you very much in advance. Hope all is well with you.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
My friend used a micargi stealth and ran into issues with the pedal braking system and since I have decided to go with a bicycle with hand brakes instead of pedal brakes. I just want something that is a good base to build on. I have mediocre mechanic skills so an easier build would be great to.

Also i would like to stay under 275.00 for the bicycle.

And what happened to spookytooth cycles they still around?
Wecome to the site,
I think micargi's are pretty junky, $275 should buy you a good used
cruiser off Craigslist, good thinking about the brakes.especially on the
front wheel.

Spooky Tooth Cycles got bought by and is the same as BikeBerry now
and Bikeberry has adds for both right here on the forum.

camrahtz

Jun 30, 2011
california
what would you recomend? i am trying to stay away from the coaster brakes after watching my friend have a tough time. should i just get something like a firmstrong and replace rear wheel with free spinning or w/e. sorry for such newb q's.

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
Electra Cruisers are pretty good. Get the Steel version. You will need to change out the rear wheel though if you don't want a coaster hub. You can get a sidepull brake for the front. Electra has a fork with Vbrake posts, I am pretty sure your dealer can order you one. If you want a springer fork, the Monark 2 should work, or this http://bikebuyers.com/PART-SUSPENSION-CRUISER-BLACK.htm . The Electra's have a very long head tube, 7.5" I think is what I got measuring.