The $50 Cruiser - clutch lever throttle

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
The saga continues...

I didn't care for the kit throttle, or the clutch lever. When I learned here to permanently engage the gearbox, I decided to do this.

1) The kit throttle cable attatchment. Add Dremmel...
2) Cut the cable out slowly, leaving a straight piece of the tubing.
3) Ground the tubing diameter down evenly.
4) Sized it to the inner diameter of the stock clutch lever coupler.
5) Assembled.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Re: The DUI cruiser- clutch lever throttle

1) Installed. Works good!
2) The new front profile.
3) Decided to keep the kill-switch. Mounted it on the neck to keep it all high speed, low drag!

Any suggestions for a metal kill switch? Something industrial looking- mechanical...

Many thanks to all of the members here who have used their time and knowledge to help me along so far! I appreciate it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Update: The lever throttle is excellent! Much better response, way easier to controll, and if I didn't know better, I'd even say my bike goes faster:) Pull the right- you go. Pull the left- you stop. I am much pleased.
Why doesn't everyone do this?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Looks like a fine set up, but I fail to see why it's an improvement over a normal throttle handle. I would think that after a while it would get tiring holding your fingers locked in position at partial throttle openings.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Trey,
Manual cruise control, as in using a locking clutch lever as a throttle is not a very safe thing to do. You really need to rethink your idea. Imagine yourself doing 25 to 30 mph and needing to stop in a hurry (car pulls out in front of you) You'll be fighting to get that lever to release and your kill switch is mounted so that you'll need to take one hand off the bars to activate it. Sort of scary, sir. Please be careful with that setup.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

biknut- I'm thinkin personal preference is all. The way I fit on the bike makes this easier for me- it really feels right. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't like how it looks (imagine new matching levers)

2door- Absolutely not sir. I have read your posts on this issue and have no intention of using any type of cruise control. The lever was unneeded and I used it to test if I'd like the set up. In it's current configuration, it is safe to operate as a hand throttle.
This is a good excuse for me to thank you, for that bit of wisdom as well as others you have shared with us all; I thank you.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Trey I can only stress that everyone needs to do what is right and works for them. In your case, by all means if it feels and looks good to you, that's the way it should be done.
As the old saying goes, "Opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has them."
Just please be careful and ride safe. That's all we ask.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Absolutely. I picked up a dual cable break lever at Bird Dog Dist today, soon to add front brakes, and single cable lever for the throttle, and all new cables. I'm still going over this bike to get it right. The motorcycle type throttle never fit me very well. Now I feel like I've got complete control of the handle bars with either hand. Few more things, fuel tank, muffler, air intake, etc. X 10, and it'll be time for stripping it down. Thinking about painting it grease colored so I won't have to wash it after my daily tinkering!