Chain Rubs Engine at Front Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

(FMF)Doc

Aug 19, 2012
Florida
Hi all, first build this weekend and have a problem...the front sproket gap between the engine is too narrow, the chain is rubbing the engine and getting jammed. Has anyone seen this before? Can I just remove sprocket and put a spacer in there?

Thanks, Dave

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have a similar issue.only problem is the nut and threaded part of the clutch shaft have only about five threads.its not enough for even .020 spacer if you want to have all the threads in the retaining nut.
i ended up using a narrower chain.dont know what it is,it came from an old garage door opener.works fine.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I took off my clutch cover and clearance the casting with a grinder to run 420 chain. No issues at all since. Don't go crazy, just hit the spots where the chain has marked the case.

(FMF)Doc

Aug 19, 2012
Florida
Yes, master link facing out, the entire chain rubs as soon as it enters the front housing and gets jammed. There is a small lip on the housing, I think I will remove sprocket and try filing down some. Is there a trick to removing sprocket...i.e. is it reversed threaded and is there tourque specs for putting it back on?

Also one other question, there are two wires on throttle and both have terminals, believe it is for kill switch. Assume green gets grounded but where does other wire go? I do not have any wires other than the magneto on the engine except a white wire that comes out and loops back into the engine? Is that where the other wire goes? These directions (or lack there of) of pretty funny, build by small picture on cover...no mention of these wires in the book.

Thanks, Dave:-||