Friction drive roller replacement how 2

GoldenMotor.com

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hi all had a FD arrive with the roller threads trashed from a drop. threads dead from tip to a 1/4 inch in. thought I'd try to clear them and see I can get a true thread for the clutch housing.

The seller says he could send a new roller... Are these not pressed in?
I am at a loss to figure out how to go about this.

Any thoughts on clearing the threads and info on roller replacement would be appreciated

Michelle

Oct 18, 2017
I too am dealing with an issue regarding the drive roller. It's a front mount engine with a rubber Drive roller. I need to replace mine but the bolt that seems to be holding on the drive rollers the same boat that runs into the engine so anytime I try to turn it the whole engine turns with it and I don't know how to get the damn Drive roller off. I need to replace this as soon as possible but I need to figure out how to get it off first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I can't tell if it's something I've actually need to unbolt or if the rubber piece can actually just yank off with a little bit of elbow grease. Really really irritating that it didn't come with better instructions on how to replace one of the parts you're going to need to replace pretty often but that's what these forms are for right. If anybody can give me some advice I really appreciate it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
who is the seller?
Staton kits are slip fit

these kits have the bearings pressed on the rollers and you need a gear puller
to remove them after you get the little retaining rings popped out of the channel they sit in

Youtube vid of removeal and install of a dax FD
Rollers are hard to replace because of the press-fit bearings.
Once removed, it just takes a few seconds to clearance the roller shaft AND the friction drive housing with sandpaper.
Then the next time you replace rollers or noisy bearings, it'll be a piece of cake.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I too am dealing with an issue regarding the drive roller. It's a front mount engine with a rubber Drive roller. I need to replace mine but the bolt that seems to be holding on the drive rollers the same boat that runs into the engine so anytime I try to turn it the whole engine turns with it and I don't know how to get the damn Drive roller off. I need to replace this as soon as possible but I need to figure out how to get it off first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I can't tell if it's something I've actually need to unbolt or if the rubber piece can actually just yank off with a little bit of elbow grease. Really really irritating that it didn't come with better instructions on how to replace one of the parts you're going to need to replace pretty often but that's what these forms are for right. If anybody can give me some advice I really appreciate it.
Here's how to get the bolt off.

Remove the sparkplug.
Stuff as much of a small rope as possible into the hole/cylinder.
Now when you loosen or tighten that bolt, the soft rope will jam the crankshaft and piston without damaging the engine.