Motorbike Idea

GoldenMotor.com

generallee

Oct 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Is it possible to rig up an engine to a bicycle's own shifting system and be successful? I have been thinking about putting a small engine in a bike, running a belt from the engine to a pulley on the front sprocket of the bike, take off the pedals, and use the bike's shifting system. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it would work. Thanks

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
In the upper right is a sponsor called Sick bike parts. Click on that box and see what they have. The shift kit is intended for the in frame (HT) engines.
But this will give you an idea of what is done.
You could come up with something based on it but you will need big time ratio reduction to slow the engine down enough to drive the pedal sprocket.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never thought of it but one of those curry geared emotors with the bicycle sprocket would work pretty well with one of the front sprockets on a 15 speed bike then the big one to the six gears in the rear. It would give you a pretty good ratio I bet. If you take the pedals off you would have a scooter more or less but with gears that could be shifted.

Last edited: