knock pin out of chain?

GoldenMotor.com

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
hey i'm having trouble getting a pin out of my chain which needs to be shortened.. I've tried punching the pin out, grinding the head down with a file (which doesn't work), got a bicycle chain repair kit which didn't work because the pin and links are bigger than standard bike chains so my chain wouldn't even fit in the device. I've even taken a titanium drill bit to it and tried drilling he pin out but It won't budge.. how do you usually get these pins out?

Sidecar

May 28, 2010
Tn.
I took a chain off today on one that I am rebuilding, I used my angle grinder to grind the head of the pin off and it just fell off. I have had a few that after grinding I have to use a punch to get the link out.

Sidecar

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Hey your band is kind of cool. I'm a fan of metal/hard EBM, and your music is pretty much both. However the name is to similar to the well know band The Berzerker.

Anyhow, as has been suggested, just use a dremel, or a angle grinder and take the head off.

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
I Think mine is an HD chain, I'm thinking about taking it to a bike shop or getting a grinder I'll guess I'll see but thanks for the info!

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
Hey your band is kind of cool. I'm a fan of metal/hard EBM, and your music is pretty much both. However the name is to similar to the well know band The Berzerker.

Anyhow, as has been suggested, just use a dremel, or a angle grinder and take the head off.
huh, haven't heard of that band but yeah thanks! We just love to mix and match musical genras, like right now we are working with black metal, trance, and Norwegian folk music haha.

but yeah ima try the grinding way!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I bought a chain breaker ($20.00) today from a motorcycle shop. No problems now! Very heavy duty compared to a bicycle tool.
Terry
Nothing like having the proper tool, even if you only build one MB, keeping it in your on-board tool bag with a little length of chain and a couple of master links can sure save your butt if you break a chain on the road.

As a bonus you can 'remove in place' without even removing the chain or pulling out an extension cord.
But as with anything else with our 'build it yourself' bikes, sometimes you just have to use what is handy to do the job.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
I've learned to dremel the pin down and a single strike of the hammer on the punch pushes it right out.

Took quite a bit of practicing the hard way to realize this...

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
Thanks for all the replys guys! I think I got this almost done.. except that my rear wheel now wobbles which I posted a new thread about.. once I got that solved I think my bike will be done!