Grandpa's new old monarch

GoldenMotor.com

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
this is my grandpas monarch that he bought back in the 60's used. I rode it when I was a kid hard to pedel and heavy but it was a tank. Anyway he saw my motor bicycle and started telling me about when he was young his uncle had a motor bicycle. His uncle never let him ride it so... Long story short I grabbed this one out of his storage shed it was in need of bad repair, rust, dri rot, no seat cover, all in all dilapidation. I was going to just clean it up and make one of the little china girl engines look like it was 60 years old but I found lots of problems in the frame. I stripped it down fixed a freeze bust in the down tube and sanded off all the rust and painted it cherry red will have a little 80 cc engine and an in frame tank when i'm done. Check the gator print leather I put on the seat. I have some more pics from the before I will try to get on here tomorrow.

Attachments

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
And Yes the forks were really bent before and now they are fixed someone had a heck of a wreck. The pedels have 3 small round reflectors on each side and one in the very end. I am going to keep the big chain gear in the front. I usually switch them out to a real small one for easy pedaling. this one will keep the large front gear and what I have done is make a new gear for the back , a lot larger one. this way the pedel ratio will still be close to 1 to 1 instead of like 1 to 5 or 6. this will allow for easy starts. The one thing I really need for this project and I havent been able to find yet is a larger engine drive gear for the rear wheel. This is my grandfathers bike and he will ride it. Mainly in the pasture and on dirt roads so I need it to have torque and low end power. Most of the gears go smaller for higher speeds. I don't want him to wipe out at a high speed something around 15 wound out maxed. I was thinking like a 60 to 70 tooth rear sprocket.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
gotta love the old bikes...

one thing you should check before your grandpa rides it, is the travel on the springer fork. with the added weight and speeds of a motor, they tend to bottom out really easy. a lot of people end up tightening them or whatever so it becomes a "springer" in name only.

and call Jim at Manic Mechanic (ad to your left...) about a sprocket. i think i remember him mentioning making a giant one for someone else...

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Thanks guys I've been wanting to make it nice for a long time but the engine spurred me into movement. my friend rides a monarch of the same year and doesnt have any problem not saying this one won't bottom out but it probably wont get rode alot. I dunno my grandpa may take up the motor bike life who knows? got the front wheel installed and the chain ring and crank yeasterday. I went on a cruise last week and when I got back my shop had became a swimming pool. I have been working on sucking all the water out and drying chilton manuals and oiling my dads guns. One little 1/2 inch water line froze and exploded filled my shop with water man its a mess but nothing really got hurt so all in all I was lucky.