Killer rain, magneto hopefully fixed

GoldenMotor.com

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
Blue Hill Maine/ California
So right before i left for Syracuse, i rode my bike in pouring rain at night no light and she died
i only had one day to try and fix her cause i was living so i tried new fuel, spark plug and nothing

so i opened up the cover for the magneto and it was filled with water, not good. So i figured that must be it. When i checked for spark, it would spark randomly not consistent and then it stopped. So I;m in maine and just hunted down my motor, which was lost in a move and just replaced the magneto. Hopefully this will fix it

Thats what the old magneto looked like, and the new one is in

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beak,
You're probably on the right track. Electrical things and water typically don't get along. Replace the mag and let us know what happens. By the way; your old mag will probably be okay after it has had a chance to dry out as long as the wires are still soldered and no arcing took place that would cause a short or shunt. Keep it warm and dry and give it a try in a week or so. In addition you might want to consider sealing the magneto cover and the wire exit hole with a good silicone sealer. That will prevent a reoccurence.
Tom

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
yeah thanks tom
its been like 3 months since it originally happened, this is the first time ive had my motor since it happened. So it might not have been necessary to switch it, oh well i had a spare lying around. As soon as i can test it i;ll let you know

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you going to throw the old mag coil away? I'd like to try rewinding it if you do. I'll pay for shipping PM me if you decide to toss it.
I have an extra mag coil but it works I don't want to destroy one that works.
It will give it up for mad scientist work.
Thanks. Norman

Last edited:

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
so trying to check for spark, when i had the clutch engaged and turning it over the chain and sprocket suddenly continued turning without the motor turning over

i assume something broke, i took the cover off the gear side and when i spin the sprocket only the center wheel moves, not the gearing, but if i turn the large gear the motor truns over, and the sprocket moves as well

Any guesses what i can do to fix

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
either a key has sheared or your clutch is way out of adjustment. I think that the clutch will be the problem from what you've said

Last edited:

TheBeak

Feb 25, 2009
alrighty i fixed the clutch, nothing big there

but still no spark, i guess i gotta check the wires with an ohm meter, i read another post about it so i know what i should be getting,

i just want this thing back to life

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beak,
Try this:
Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

Tom