Wireless Speedometer---magneto interference?

GoldenMotor.com

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
Hi Everyone!

I recently put on a wireless speedometer and it seems to work well when I am using the bike with the motor off. Once I start the bike the speedo still reads, but it says I am going way faster than I really am. I am pretty sure that this has something to do with the magneto, but is there anything I can do about it? Right now the sensor is positioned on the left fork. I may try and move it to the rear right to see if that may be far enough away from the magneto to read correctly. Have any of you guys had this problem? If so were you able to resolve it? I may just go to a wired speedo. Have any of you guys had good results with those?xct2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bones,
Electrical interference with the digital speedometers is common. The problem is from the CDI and ignition wire, not the magneto itself. The wireless types are very prone to RF interference. Try moving the head (display) as far away from the clutch and throttle cables as you can get it and I've also found that relocating the CDI to the seat post and away from the front of the bike helps. I'm not a fan of this but it has been reported that using resistance ignition wire instead of a solid conductor type also helps. Seach, "Speedometer' in the search feature and I'm sure you'll see a lot of discussion on this subject. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I dunno about the wire Tom doesn't like (I haven't tried it - but his word's good by me), I have however tried both a resistor cap and plug with success (NOT at the same time tho - that'll cause probs fosho).

I'm not sure how much success you'll have with a wireless speedo, but it stopped my wired one from hearing voices and speaking in tongues - I suppose a combo of Tom's suggestions and a plug might do the trick...

BTW, plug is the same numbers - just with an "R" added, the caps work a lil better but look funny *shrug* Whichever you pick of the "resistance" options - use only one else yer spark may suffer ;)

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Wired speedos are better for MB. I, ve got Cateye Velo5 and love it (17 bucks on ebay) Cateye speedos are fool and idiot proof.