Clutch & Carb Adjustment

GoldenMotor.com

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
Okay, I know you can adjust the clutch by moving the adjustment screw on the Clutch Lever, by moving the adjustment screw above the motor, and by pulling in the slack from the clutch line screw. But WHERE, Please, is the reference to adjusting the Star Screw behind the clutch cover, the one with the small lock screw. For the life of me I can't seem to find this reference but in 1 place, and it litterally contradicts itself between one line and the next.

Also, when looking at my maintenance guide, it refers to a Carb Screw that should be screwed all the way in, then 4 1/2 turn back out. Is this the Idle screw, the screw under the reserve, or something else?

Pleaze Help, as I am slowing going insane zpt

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What is the clutch doing, that you feel the need to mess with the flower nut???

There is only ONE adjustment screw on the carb... it's the one on the side of the carb with a little spring on it. Screw it in to raise the idle, screw it out to lower it! ;)

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
As far as the Idle screw, I wasn't sure if that was it or not, cause if it were, isn't it kinda obvious for them to call it the "Idle Screw"? But they don't... and that's where the confusion comes in.

For the clutch, I had engaged the clutch at one point and then disengaged it, but it didn't release right, and there was a weird noise from that side. I removed the clutch cover and the flower nut to see if there was anything on the other side that was off. When I put it back on, I found a few things off.
1) The flower nut itself seemed warped. In this I mean that when I threaded it, and I double checked to make sure I was not cross-threading, when the flower nut hit the plat, it was only on 1 side of the flower nut, with the other side still a good turn / turn and a half away from touching the plate.
2) I couldn't find anywhere that seems to agree on the distance of play the clutch arm is due to have when you adjust the clutch.
3) This is all 5X more pertinent today, as on my way to work the chain sprocket on the clutch shaft somehow stripped itself. One moment I'm Cruisin, then the clutch slipps, catches, 5 or 6 times over half a mile, then just as I'm slowing down to take a look, it goes out all together. I peddle to work, open the clutch arm cover, and find the sprocket has been completely stripped, as well as the clutch shaft. This means I have to replace this as well, and since I have 2 other motors at home, I think I have the parts to do this, but again, once I've done so, I need to re-tension the clutch right.

Soooooo.... If I could get some advice on how to remove the clutch shaft, as well as how to properly tension it once it's been replaced, I would appreciate it. And in case I get deferred there, I've looked at Norms 2 clutch posts, seen below, and they don't fully cover how to pull it out, at least not that I can understand (Sorry Norm, no offense).

Any help would be MUCH Appreciated, as this bike is my one and only transportation to and from work.

Ride'n the bus....
Deispring

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The flower nut IS on straight, it's just that the hole in the pressure plate is a little too small, so it sits on the flower nut a little crooked.

As far as the sprocket stripping? I've never seen that happen before!!
If the clutch shaft is still in good condition, maybe you can just swap out the sprocket from one of your other engines??
Make sure the woodruff key is the same size & installed properly!!

Deispring

Apr 20, 2009
California
Hey there.
First of all, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

To address that Flower Nut, I checked it next to another nut from another motor and found that the flat top "flower" of the nut is skewed by at least 10-15° from the other.

As to the sprocket... yeah, that's a bit weird that it could strip like that, and last night I took a better look around and found that while the damage did not seen to get past the outer bearing wall, both the inside of the Sprocket, the outside of the Clutch Shaft, and the pressure slot for aligning the sprocket were all well worn down, and there is no repairing it. This, as it turns out, is GOOD news.

I bought the motor from Steve Berry in Redlands Ca (Facebook link Login | Facebook ) and he informed me that my motor had not the standard 90 day warranty, but double that, at 180. As I bought the motor around the start of August, it's fully covered, which means... NEW MOTOR ! ! ! Yay :p

So, all is good for now.... I'll update when the new motor gets here.

Soon 2B Bikin' again
Deispring