Bonneville Flyer, chassis number four

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The Sportsman Flyer shop has been so busy it's hard to squeeze in a personal build, but I finally got my turn in line. Just because I'm Pat's brother doesn't mean I get to jump to the top of the build list, but sometimes being the last in line ensures you get some of features the other guys didn't get.

Of the five Bonneville chassis, mine is number four and is the last to be built out. You will have to settle for cell phone pics now, but I promise better pics later.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
As a Bonneville model, it will be a full race spec chassis (just in case), but unlike the Bonneville's and the 200's, it will start life with the smallest motor of the bunch -under 150cc's and it will have a number of upgrades.

It will get an electric start motor, new round-side tanks, bigger tool box to house the battery, a new steering dampner and better brakes.

Up front I am running a drum brake pulled from an old Honda I parted out. The hub has dramatically increased braking area over the Worksman hubs that we've used on previous builds.

The old wheel was torn down, I added fresh pads, new bearings, powder coated the rim and then treated it to a fresh set of stainless spokes from Buchanan spokes. Now this is a beefy wheel!

Attachments

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Yesterday was a cold day in the shop and we were moving a bit slow. Nonetheless, we managed to make some pretty good progress. Here is an early test fit of the tins. As you can see, the tool box is much bigger, the rear fender was just getting test fit here, it will need to be trimmed out later. The tank is not real visible here, but I'll share pics of that later after its been dressed out.

Sorry about the pic quality

Attachments

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Here is a sneak peak of the front end, obviously not complete, but Pat has designed a cool new friction dampner. Like all of his goodies, it is laser cut stainless, it fits perfect and should polish up real nice.

Like I said, sometimes it's best to be last in line.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Interesting. Mind if I make your pictures bigger? It's an R&D project for two reasons. First, it really is research and development, and second it happens to be Rich's initials and his bike. By the way, Rich ALWAYS pushes new ideas forward, and it's always bigger and better. Like wheels, hubs, starters, batteries, you name it. Here he is with his project.

Bonneville Flyer R&D by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Friction fork mock-up. Still needs bushings, springs and leather friction washers. Is this really how they used to make shock absorbers? Old school all the way!

Bonneville Flyer R&D by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
This particular front wheel came off a 1977 Honda MR175, but similar hubs were found on virtually all of the Honda's from late 60's thru mid 70's. Because they were so prevalent, parts are plentiful and cheap. Front/rear brake pads are about $25/set and fresh bearings are under twenty bucks shipped to your door, so it's cheap and easy to freshen up an old hub.

The rim is a DID 21 x 1.60 -the same size as used on all of the Bonneville models.

The hubs are quite narrow too, making them easy to adapt.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
This particular front wheel came off a 1977 Honda MR175, but similar hubs were found on virtually all of the Honda's from late 60's thru mid 70's. Because they were so prevalent, parts are plentiful and cheap. Front/rear brake pads are about $25/set and fresh bearings are under twenty bucks shipped to your door, so it's cheap and easy to freshen up an old hub.

The rim is a DID 21 x 1.60 -the same size as used on all of the Bonneville models.

The hubs are quite narrow too, making them easy to adapt.
Very cool, I thought it looked similar to the one I'm using off of a Honda XL185.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The engine in the picture is not the engine that I am running, it was a convenient motor to use for the mock up since it has a starter on it.

Initially, I plan to run a GX140 (140cc), same basic platform as the 200cc and GX160's we've used on previous builds, just a smaller bore. I hotrodded the motor some, but it's not a race tune motor, but will still be a potent little motor. I converted it electric start and it has a charging system. Pat had to redesign the engine mount to set the motor deeper in the chassis for starter clearance. Once we have the new mounts, i will snap some pics to share.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Another great looking and well thought out build. You guys amaze. Your shop would be the most awesome apprenticeship opportunity for young mechanical engineers. There is nothing like solving a real problem for a client and then using your hands to make it happen.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
But it also looks good as a cruiser:

Bonneville Flyer #4 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

I really like how the new round side tank looks, it softens the lines and gives it a more refined look. The plan is to build one bike with two sets of clothes. Afterall, it is a Bonneville model so it needs be ready to strip down and hit the salt should the need arise. But at the same time, there is only so much room in the garage and we've been wanting to build a cruiser model in full dress. So maybe we'll do a Jekyll and Hyde version.

So what do you think, raw racer or full dress?

Last edited: