Grubee Skyhawk - No Start - Help!

GoldenMotor.com

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
This is my first bike engine. I've put it together, and it won't start. Someone please help. It's never been started. I've checked the clutch lever - I've got plenty of free play. Other than that, not sure. I disconnected the kill switch, still no start.

Can the engine start without the wires from the throttle being connected?? Anyways, I'm SURE I've done something wrong, I really don't suspect I've got a bad part somewhere. Like I said, this is my first engine, and I am not experienced with this sort of thing. I'm pretty savvy, but this one stumps me.

ANY ideas?? Anyone!! Sorry if I am repeating a thread, I searched...

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
1) you don't need those wires connected ... but you do need the other blue and black connected correctly to the cdi

2) did you remove the cap on the spark plug so that it fits into the boot and connects to the cdi ? ( mainly do you have spark ?)

3) It could be your carb , check to see if the cables did not come out of their journals on the top of carb , if the choke is stuck open it may not start or the throttle stuck open , the same.

There is not much to these , but you have to do A LOT of tinkering to get them going right..... then its fun time !

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Came from gasbike.net from this link: GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Slant Head Bike Motor Kit (Standard Finish)

You might laugh, but these instructions are pretty skimp. I think I know where my problem is. The section of instructions (Skyhawk Instructions) that tell me to install the Ignition Coil and Engine Kill Switch, it tells me to "mount CD ignition coil on bike frame, close enough to attach coil wire to spark plug."

I don't think I attached any wire to the spark plug. Is that where I've gone wrong?

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
1. ok
2. remove the cap on spark plug? not sure what you mean. no idea if i have spark. to test for spark, don't i turn the pedals while the clutch cable is released? i can't turn the pedals if i do that.
3. what??

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Came from gasbike.net from this link:

You might laugh, but these instructions are pretty skimp. I think I know where my problem is. The section of instructions that tell me to install the Ignition Coil and Engine Kill Switch, it tells me to "mount CD ignition coil on bike frame, close enough to attach coil wire to spark plug."

I don't think I attached any wire to the spark plug. Is that where I've gone wrong?

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
On the grubee kits ,

1) the spark plugs come w/ a cap on them that don't fit into the cap , you can twist it off w/ pliers or whatever, then it looks like a little needle coming out , that will match up inside the cap , hence the ability to transfer spark.

2) Not sure what you were saying about the clutch but you must hold it in to allow free play ( the bike will roll) then release so the clutch catches and bike starts.

3) The little rubber caps on the top off carb, pop them off and make sure the cables are fit inside the retainers on the carb ( if not use some elec tape ) then put the caps back on top of that

4) Yeah those blue / black wires from the engine MUST be attached to the cdi box ( which attaches to the spark plug)

Than main probs w/ the new grubee kits is the carb, so just to let you know , you WILL have probs in the beginning until you work out the probs , mainly air leaks , but the engine will at least start with an air leak , it just will not go ...

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
well i'm confused now. i've got the cdi box attached to spark plug, with blue and black connected to blue and black. still nothing. i will try #3 next. so far, i'm not getting an attempt from engine to start.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
take some pics and post them .... that may be easier to answer questions... did you put gas in it ? ( sorry had to ask ) j/k .... they typically start right up , even with the other probs....

Oh did you open the fuel valve ? can you smell / see fuel in the carb ?
If fuel is there ... it would really have to be spark .....

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
ha now thats funny. yes i've got 18:1 fuel (recommended ratio for first tank per the instructions). and yes, fuel line is open. i know that for sure, because it's got a slight leak, which i will address later. i just want the darn thing to spark. ok, pics forthcoming.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
maybe the spark plug is no good. how can i check to see if plug sparks?
Yep , its just your plug .

Okay , the end that doesn't spark , that actually has a brass cap on it , you can unscrew it , then it will start right up , I promise,

Its weird the pic just showed up on my computer , but it said you posted it an hour ago ...

but yeah that is it !

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
also , for the fuel ratio.... just do that for a short while , really short while , maybe 15-20 minutes of running it.

I tried it both ways , once with a higher oil to fuel ratio 16:1 , and once with 32:1 , both bikes have well over 200 miles and didn't seem to matter .... some people doen't do it at all

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Yeah I already got that unscrewed based on your other post. When I post with a link or image included, it delays until moderator approves. So some of those posts showed up late. I will post pics tomorrow of the entire setup.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Okay , well no matter what keep posting and someone will def get you going , you carb may just be flooded now , if you have been trying to start it over and over ....

Best of luck , but they are f in sweet once you can ride !

thejdoe

Apr 29, 2011
AR
Ok still nothing. Here are the pictures of my build. I cannot figure out what's going on. Engine will not start, won't even try. Like I said before, I'm sure I've done something wrong. Can someone help??