no spark please help...

GoldenMotor.com

bikebuilder04

Oct 11, 2010
plant city florida
ok i was on my way to work this morning a 10 mile ride and the motor ran fine til i pulled in the drive and it lost spark. When i got off work i tried to get it to start no luck. so i pedaled almost all the way home and hit a big down hill spot. i got it going really fast and let off the clutch and it fired up. ran it for about 5 miles made 2 stops at some stores and started right back up and as soon as i pulled into my apartment complex it died agian. no spark. wont start now. the plug is good. and wire is good. the coil looks to be ok. any ideas??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your wiring connections. The kit supplied plug-in connectors are evil. Get rid of them and solder the connections then cover with heat shrink tubing. Check the plug boot connection at the top of the plug. the kit plug boot is not a great item and you'd be better off replacing it with a good quality automotive plug boot. Try these things and let us know what you find. Also check where the plug wire screws into the CDI.
Are you sure you have good fuel flow? The kit in-tank fuel filter can get plugged easily from trash in the tank from the factory. This is also true of the needle valve in the carburetor. You need fuel, air and iignition for the engine to run. Confirm all three then let us know what happens.
Tom

bikebuilder04

Oct 11, 2010
plant city florida
i already have soldered the wires together and shrink wrapped them. already had got a new plug and plug wire and boot. copper core wire. its getting fuel. spark plug is covered in it. i have tried to get spark on the block and everything. i was just thinking there is a break in the coil on the mag? it just got enough energy when i hit the hill to transfer the energy? maybe?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If the wire is broken, you will get absolutely no current through it. It would be like a switch in the open position. If the wire is broken and very close to the terminal you will get an intermittent connection, a troubleshooting nightmare sometimes. It works, no it doesn't, it works, now it quit again, it works again situation.

Try disconnecting the kill button if you haven't all ready. They also have earned a reputation of evilness due to working when you don't tell it to.