Tire Slipping and breaking valve stem

GoldenMotor.com

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Well my bike is riding but each time my friend was the won getting to run the motor and the valve stem keeps getting guillotined by the tire slipping and causing a flat. I guess there is so much force on the rim that the tire is slipping of and causing a flat. I now have $13 bucks of damaged tubes and no way to ride my bike.

My only current option is to go buy a foam tire for the rear wheel. This is a problem because those no more flats apparently break your rims and spokes over time destroying your wheel...

Anyone else ever have this problem!??? PLEASE HELP!!!

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
maybe you should pump up the tire more? I haven't had a similar problem but the only time I've ever had my tire/tube move is when the tire has been slack or getting flat. How much talc is on the tube?

Or do you have the wrong sized tire/tube combo. i/e road tire tube in a mtb tire? I'm just thinking out loud here...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
make sure you get tube inside of the tires bead where the valve stem is you can have a problem with the tube being pinched by the tires bead and it will be right at the valve stem air up the tire then let the air out squeeze the tire on both side of the rim at the valve stem and by looking you will see if the tube is not inside of the tire once you get the tube all of the way in air up the tire and bounce it around to help set the tire on the rim run the tire at it max pressure. It might ride a little rough but it will also roll with less resistance which equals more speed.
I think I confused myself on that one hope you get my drift.:oops:

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Try a different tire. The way some tires are made even with the same sizes printed the one you have could be loose enough to not need a tire iron at all to install. Am I on the same page with this?
Try getting a new tire that you need a bit more effort to get it on the rim.
The right tire is one that takes some effort to install because it would seat better once installed. And the more rubber you have for your rim to grip onto the less of a chance it would slip.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
What I like to do when mounting a tube and tire is to lightly inflate the tube so that it isn't folded anywhere and round. Then I place it inside the tire and insert the valve stem in the hole. Then I mount the tire on the rim. I found that this way it's less likely that the tube is kinked after I get it mounted.

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks sfor all of the info fellas. Anyways I believe it is tire pressure. My bike guy said to put it up to at least 65psi. My front tire is kinda old but says it can do 80. If that doesn't work then I will try the tighter tire approach. Hopefully all will be up by monday!!!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I run the cheap walmart tires that look bald no tread to speak of and I run them at 60 pisg very smooth rolling and good grip on pavement. I don't like the off road tires as they vibrate and wear me out form all the cussing I do because of them.rotfl
Norman

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
My Lord, that makes a lot of sense. I live in a rather wet climate so a decent all weather tire is what I need. I had no idea that they actually make studded snow bike tires; now I'm wanting to ride in the snow just to see what that would be like.