Here's that Whizzer/Monark

GoldenMotor.com

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
I got the bike new in 1945 but its actually a prewar frame. Has the rear dropouts. They started re-selling them in 45. The spring fork was added later, it was a cheap model to start. I added the ND 2 speed hub around 1947 if my memory still works. The ND still works. Makes peddeling to start much easier. Painted it all black and put the stainless fenders on around 1948 then packed it away and got lucky enough to get a new Monark Supertwin. Redid the old Monark about 8 years ago and added the J engine. Its actually an H crankcase with a J cylinder and large valves. A bunch of e-bay parts put together.

Hmm? Upload failed on picture? I'll try again
Geo.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Can someone help Geo. out on how to resize his pics?
I know i wana see them. can i ask what carb did you go with? cam? Thanks for posting.

Ray

Last edited:

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
I think it is the resizing i need, trying to figure it out. I had a tillotson on it but stole that one off to put on a Sportsman i did so now i have a Carter N that seems to be more problems than the tillotson? I think the cam is stock, it was in the case when i bought it. Those pictures are on the US Scooter site if i can,t get it on here.
Geo.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I like the painted rims with white pin-striping, i also have a DN hub that i'm going with on a 1947 DX, was thinking of chrome tubular rims, might go with sum painted drop center rims with the pin-striping on the side of the rims. it looks good. this hub is ready for sum 120 gauge spokes.

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
It was the cheapest model Monark when my Dad bought it new for about $29.95 and the rims were striped just like that. The bike was originally two tone red and maroon with the same patterns and had striped fenders to match. It didn't come with a chain guard, so a generic one was put on by the dealer striped just as shown. I drilled out the hubs for the heavy spokes.
Geo.

Last edited:

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Thats a beauty. Early 50s. That train light on the fender is worth many bucks.
Always thought the deluxe Monarks looked better than a Schwinn anyway. Both built in Chicago.
Geo.

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Get ahold of some 2 speed guts for that ND model D hub. Great for starting.
Hub looks real nice.
Geo.
GEO, Please tell me where to find these 2 speed guts for a model D hub!!! I've never seen one. Do they operate like a schwinn 2 speed kickback or cable operated? Any info you could give me would be much appreciated! thanks. ...and sorry, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread :)

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Hey Geo, can we see that Supertwin? there kinda rare, what color is it?
also i'm not sure what these wheels went to, maybe monark? JC higgins?

Thanks,
Ray
Here's some shots of the Supertwin. The black and white is the one i had when i was 15. Sold it for $50 to buy a car. What do kids know? The others are one i bought in 1998 and restored. $1400 for a pile of rust. They had a great disc clutch system and good high speed but no torque for hills. The handlebar shot shows that throttle system similiar to that other post. As you can see its the wrong belt guard. Thats from a Whizzer. They were impossible to find at a decent price. It was also missing the magneto cover but i think there's a guy repopping them now.

Geo.

Attachments

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
GEO, Please tell me where to find these 2 speed guts for a model D hub!!! I've never seen one. Do they operate like a schwinn 2 speed kickback or cable operated? Any info you could give me would be much appreciated! thanks. ...and sorry, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread :)
I kind of said that with tongue in cheek. I don't think iv'e ever seen them on e-bay. Best bet is some old bike shop still around? I do remember that as a kid i bought the kit in some bike shop and put the parts in my standard ND hub. The hub was black, not chrome, because of the war. Its cable operated with a small shift knob mounted on the top cross bar. The girl friends all hated them. Rough to sit on.
Geo.

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico
This was my Fireston Super Cruiser it was made by Monark,buy to make it 4 stroke, But I got this Whizzer and I had to sacrifice the Fireston,like your Bikes Geo.

I put the pictures but you can get twice, because I had put it in the forum already

Last edited:

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Actually there's some parts and a complete old hub on e-bay right now. Just type in New Departure 2 speed in the e-bay search.

Geo.