Clutch Big Bearing Lube?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What's considered a good lube for the big bearing in the clutch gear, and how to you apply it?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
White lithium grease.
Get an aerosol can of it with the little red straw.
Remove the pressure plate from the clutch.
Push on one side (green arrow) of the ring gear and it should expose a little peek into the bearing races.
Shoot a teeny bit of grease in there. Turn the assembly 1/3 around and repeat.
Repeat 1 more time for a total of 3 shots. Wipe up any excess that may have gotten where it should not be. The friction pucks and metal surfaces cannot have any oil or grease on them at all, ever. If you shoot too much grease in there it will just fling out during operation and make a slippery mess of the clutch. Only shoot a teeny bit in there...

Here's a pic to help:

The other way is to remove the clutch from the transmission shaft. There are 3 small holes drilled into the backside of the ring gear that allow you to squirt grease directly into the bearings.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Oh, ok. I think I've got some. I never noticed those holes on the back. I just checked one and there they are.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
what i use is high temp grease, the red stuff, and i take a drinking straw, fill it with grease, ussually just pushing it in the grease will fill it, then i take a left over chinese cheapo chop stickl and insert it into the drinking straw, this makes a style of syringe. now flatten the tip, insert it in the gap of the bearings, and squeeze a little bit in. repeat around the bearing a few times, spin it over, then clean up the excess with a rag. ill take pictures after my shower for you

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
what i use is high temp grease, the red stuff, and i take a drinking straw, fill it with grease, ussually just pushing it in the grease will fill it, then i take a left over chinese cheapo chop stickl and insert it into the drinking straw, this makes a style of syringe. now flatten the tip, insert it in the gap of the bearings, and squeeze a little bit in. repeat around the bearing a few times, spin it over, then clean up the excess with a rag. ill take pictures after my shower for you
I like that red grease. My grease gun has it in it now, and I have a pointy tip that I think will poke in the holes in the back of the gear.