1954 Monark Firestone Supercrusier

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
About your light http://www.ledsupply.com/03021-d-e-700.php is what you need or one of the others they carry depending on the Ma and watts your leds need.I have the 700ma running to high power 1000 lumen leds that can handle more ma then this .This is a good set up you can run 5v to 32v into this buckbuck and it will constantly put out only 700ma. I use a small cordless phone battery and it lasts for hours.
Heres a Monark Gas Tank made to fit the frame

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Labrat,
My engine is a 99 predator on the American Flyer. Without the sidecar and with a 64 tooth driven sprocket it ran somewhere around 40 mph tops. With the sidecar I needed to go to a bigger driven sprocket of 72 teeth which gave me more low end and hill climbing power but dropped the top end down to the 30 mph range. The only passenger I carry is Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog who weighs about 30 pounds. I don't know what the sidecar and frame weigh.

Motomags,
That is a good looking gas tank! I do like the Monark frame design as it has nice lines. I guess that you, Labrat and Fasteddy are the Monark guys.
SB

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Wind screen a Welcome addition this time of year!
Thats nice! Dont look bad either. Ya know; the most decadent thing in motorcycling is heated hand grips. If your gonna be riding that all winter where you live; you might concider a battery in one of your bags, and a switched set of hand grips with the heater strips. Once I had em on one bike I had em on every bike I owned since.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok 4 AA bats blew up my LEDs so its somthing to do with resistors. I got another one $5 and it had 4 batts in the light each LED has its own resistor so it works with 4 AA bats problem solved. Still do not get it all in my head but Im ok with $5 extra

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok, here is a well used hard ridden EZM Q Matic busted in half. Ok I did it! I will post to this and I will make it clear. I caused this failure.

Do not read this and assume that the EZM Q-Matic is a poor product. It is not. I infact own two of these and I like them both!

This dammage was done by my own improper instalation two years ago. The instalation was corrected.

This Q- Matic recieved much dammage from accidents cause by the improper instalation of the engine. (Mounts not secure -shifting) The engine mounting issues were resolved more than a year ago. The stress and metal fatague casued by thousands of miles being travled fianally caused this old girl to give out.

Be clear, I ride it like I stole it. This bike runs 45mph and I have no idea why engine has not blown up yet. I seriously doubt EZM saw me comming when they designed this wonderful transmission for the HS 49cc 4 stroke. It is my opinion that it is my boched early instalations, my ridding style, and early mishaps caused this failure.

99cc Predator ran wide open more often than not.

I will first attempt to repair the failed back plate. And after I fail I will order a new plate from EZM and put this JS back on the road. EZM Q Matic is worth the money and it is well worth repair!

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Figured while she was down it would be a good time to place the Government in permanent exile. Jail is just not enough.

Permanente removal of the internal members of the previous regime must be eliminated. This is a must!

They, the ex governmnet, will plague you for the rest of your life if you do not follow through with the revolution you started! You yes you started this when you disconnected them from their power base.

And they (the once powerful government) have left you nothing but an oil dripping superfund to clean. And now the cost will be higher because you’re totally down for a repair!

None would not be necessary if you would have done it right in the first place! Execute the GOVERNMENT. Restance, sencond pix thrashed Government (white plastic geared wheel)

Here’s some photos of how.

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Thanks KenX for your kind words. Check some of my other build threads out, See BTR section "Orange Peel"(OP), "54 Road Master Luxury Liner"(RMLL) and Sledge's Resurection build. In the strech section see the "Puma Twin" (PT) Both PT and OP are on going works in progress as is Sledge's Resurection

Spent a good 5hrs working on the Q-Matic. As noted before I have parts to repair this Q-Matic. I will be sending the broken back plate to EZM for repalacemnet so I can put the spare Q-Matic I had in the shop on another build. This mishap cost me the clutch and one bearring as well.

Once reassembled with the correct and expensive EZM clutch the bike was again a dream to ride!

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
That bike is giving me inspiration. Have a bid out on what looks to be a pretty nice ride. Don't know if I'll be able to stand the final price. Thanks for the picture.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
That bike is giving me inspiration. Have a bid out on what looks to be a pretty nice ride. Don't know if I'll be able to stand the final price. Thanks for the picture.
I have another barn find Monark of the same year hanging up on the wall yet to be built. Its complete only missing the tank.

Finishing up the Orange Peel this week and diving back into the Twin engine Puma build, and there is another two Road Master's to build here also. It may well be late summer or fall before I get to the other Monark.

I really do like those Monark bikes. The fenders are huge and have rolled edges; there is space for about any engine you should want. Also there are two springer options. The knee action Monark springer's are much more robust than that of Schwinn. The Monark knee action is bigger and heavier. The steel is thicker, the spring larger. And everyone knows about the twin spring 'Monark' forks.

The FSC shown here was purchased one part at a time on ebay. Over a course of 5 months.

Most expensive single part was the red FIRESTONE tank... had to fight for it and it took forever for a red FIRESTONE tank to show most all say Monark.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
KenX here is a spoiler of the barn find Monark.

As you can see I fainted when I was able to acquire this bike with the train light on the front fender. Bike has been spray painted purple over the original blue. It is a total rust bucket but absolutely restorable. Anyone who follows my building knows I have a flair for the rat appearance but this bike will require paint because the condition is poor with 2 layers of paint and much rust. I am sure all would like to know my cost.

$200 USD.

NOT FOR SALE

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
LabRat,
I restored a 1952 Monark Super DeLuxe and added a sidecar. I have enough to build other than the tank but I doubt that my wallet could take that hit again.

Steve.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
LabRat,
I restored a 1952 Monark Super DeLuxe and added a sidecar. I have enough to build other than the tank but I doubt that my wallet could take that hit again.

Steve.
I'm going to keep my eye out to see if I can get my hands on one without paying a small fortune. Probably one or something similar just sitting in a barn within a few miles of my house. I may do a little investigative work and asking around. Bicycles were very big around here at one time. School kids would actually ride over to their friends house rather than their mom taking them. Rarely see one in action anymore other than younger kids just riding around in their yards. I ran across a couple of nice vintage bikes with tanks about a year of so ago. I just glanced and didn't get a close inspection. Wasn't under best of circumstances so I didn't pursue the issue any further.