The exhaust cap popped off somwhere :/

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
th HT 80cc black. Black muffler, I think the cap popped off on my way to work yesterday... Didnt seem to change the noise, I didnt notice until my ride home later that day... what is that cap called, baffle?

however, now, th brace that I hav from frame to muffler, is the oly thing keeping the outer casing of the exhaust togther... I will have to get some of those pipe fitting ties on my way home to keep it together.

I wanted to get a expansion chamber anyway... a guy in town wants to sell me the whole piece in one for 70 dollars.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
th HT 80cc black. Black muffler, I think the cap popped off on my way to work yesterday... Didnt seem to change the noise, I didnt notice until my ride home later that day... what is that cap called, baffle?

however, now, th brace that I have from frame to muffler, is the oly thing keeping the outer casing of the exhaust togther... I will have to get some of those pipe fitting ties on my way home to keep it together.

I wanted to get a expansion chamber anyway... a guy in town wants to sell me the whole piece in one for 70 dollars.
I'm not surprised your muffler cap rattled off eventually, mine did too, but I am surprised you didn't notice a difference in the sound of the motor. The day mine came off when I started the bike it seemed just a tad loud, I thought perhaps I was just getting used to riding the quiet scooter. About a mile down the road the sound from the engine ramped way up, seconds later I barely hear something metallic skipping down the street. Being near home I just rode her back to check her out, thought perhaps it was the exhaust gasket. Closer inspection revealed my gasket intact and the cap gone from the muffler, so I rode the scooter back to the area where the sound changed and was lucky enough to find the cap in the road, and wasn't even run over by a car yet! The nut that holds the muffler together had come off, luckily it is the same thread as most of the other nuts on the bike and so I had a spare on hand. I would suggest you take a ride back down the same route you took that day and see if you can spot your muffler cap somewhere....

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I travel that way everyday to work. Didnt see it this morning, keep another lookout tomorrow. I got one of those pipe fasteners plumbers use to keep it from popping off the top and adjusted the exhaust brace up higher...

for now...

I like these flathead adjustable ties though, I am going to replace my cable ties with some smaller ones of these.

Last edited: