Mechsmoto's 9.4 Morini build

GoldenMotor.com

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
Thanks ferball... alot of the guys didnt like the idea of the high engine placement. I just wanted to spend my budget on getting all the necesarry pieces for a rock solid build... and unfortunately it didnt leave me with enough left over for a wider crank setup... thus the high mount as you stated. The bike handles incredibly well all things considered , i pedal alot of the times when i going slow with engine just so i dont have to blaaaaaahhhhtt blaaaaahhhht when going through people on the sidewalks or what have you... i try to be very respectful to others so as not to have problems riding my bike... most people wave and give me a thumbs up.. or stop and wow or druull @ lights after they have seen me crack into it a bit... it soooooo soooo much fun!!!! I LOVE THIS LIL ENGINE!!!!!!!!! STILL CANT GET OVER THE COMPRESSION AAAANNNNDDD WITH A DOUBLE RING PISTON!!!! WWWOOOWW!!!!! Gotta get a el cheapo speedo so i can keep track of the miles i put on this thing!!!

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
thanks to everyone here for their help and suggestions..!!!! Im still working on the video... trying to figure out a way to strap my phone to me with the camera rolling for an onboard video ride so you guys can get a feel of the acceleration... man she rips!!!!!!! l

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
JUST WANTED TO CONFIRM MORINIS HAVE THE WORST CLUTCH EVER ON THE PLANET EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE THIS FREAKING ClUTCH!!!!!!!!

Just started my third gallon of fuel today.. and the clutch seeming to overheat and slip .. instead to work itself out as the break-in suggests it will do... it BROKE!!!!!!!

YES IT BROKE ... on my third tank of gas!!! BETTER BE UNDER WARRANTY cause you can tell just how HAPPY I am right now...!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my tools are in the vehicle that my girl just happened to take to work today... so i have very limited tools available at the moment
but... being that i have no patience i MUST see what the **** is going on in there.. ???????

The clutch is engaging immediately ... sooooo, im guessing the one of the washer stacks wasnt torque properly and thats why i was having overheats so early... and also why the clutch is engageing instantly at the moment... HOPEFULLY THERE IS NO DAMAGE AS I WAS BARELY MOVING AT ALL WHEN I NOTICED IT>>> WHO KNOWS?????

ID LIKE TO MEET THE LIL "FKR" THATS IN CHARGE OF PUTTING THESE CLUTCHES TOGETHER OVER THERE>> AND THE ONES IN INSPECTION TOO!!! ID SLAP THEIR HEADS SO HARD THEY"D SPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!

NOT A GOOD DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
JUST as i suspected.. i removed the clutch cover.. immediately you can see one of the washer stack bolts is touching the clutch bell... no tools to take it out yet... but looks like there is some scratching on the bells surface from the loose bolt.. contacted franco morini usa.. they will only warranty to the original seller.. contacted justin @ pirate cycles.... he hasnt let me down at all soo far.. lets hope he keeps it up with this warranty swap... as franco morini usa charges almost $100 for a new bell IF i have to buy it... PLEASE COME THROUGH ON THIS JUSTIN>> PLEASE!!!!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
theres probably really nothing broken, the washers may be sacked out and the bolt came loose. the people who race these change the washer stacks and check the bolts about ever hour of run time.
the nut on the crank is left hand thread so you need to turn it CW to loosen it. put blue lock tight on the washer bolts,
unless the clutch drum is really scared up it's probably ok. a few scratchs won't hurt it.

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
thanks camlifter!!! youve been such a big help throughout this build... upon closer examination its not the bolt thats loose... its broken!! the bolt snapped off inside the hub... i have a lil piece with the washer stack on it and a lil stud left in the hub.. .. Maybe i can take one of the other studs to the hardware store as a sample... and they will have something to replace it with..??? or is it better to just order the stud from morini usa??? in your opinion camlifter... please??

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
already took the other ones apart... appears to be a morini specific bolt... will have to order from morini usa...

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
oh boy... it keeeps getting better...!!!! franco morini usa has the stud i need in stock.. but they ONLY sell it in a clutch kit that costs $100!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna vomit... a 50cent screw is REALLY GOING TO COST ME $100
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
oh boy... it keeeps getting better...!!!! franco morini usa has the stud i need in stock.. but they ONLY sell it in a clutch kit that costs $100!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna vomit... a 50cent screw is REALLY GOING TO COST ME $100
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can buy an entire Happy Time Motor for that price.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
take it to fastenall, they will be able to get it or have it, may have to buy a box of 20 but then you'll be the go to guy for everyone else, most towns have a fastenall in them, or go online, there just grade 8 shoulder bolts.

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
found the bolts @ grainger.. they are 6mm thread.. 16mm body>>> shoulder bolts as camlifter was so kind to share with us... thanks for the millionth time camlifter!!! Youre the best bro!!!

Got the new bolts 5 for $10 ... used an easy out to get the old bolt threads out of the hub... actually everytime i use the reverse thread bit.. it breaks.. so i used only the 7/64 bit and then jammed one of my star bits in there and turned it right out!!! Thank goodness... !!!!! Now just to research the proper setting for a nice all around driveabilty on the washer stacks.... what to take out of there???

Herdan called< and is also sending me the bolt... thanks to herdan and justin @pirate cycles for getting back to me soooo quickly... !!!!

the changed clutch settings will mean no more rad racer takeoffs... too bad i never got a video before this happend... you guys will still get to see how it takes off once its moving though id imagine.. i mean its stiiiillll a 62T sprocket!!! lol!!!!!!!!

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
i put everything back ... let me check the order...

one thin washer behind the clutch bell, bell, one thick washer, hub curved part facing inside of engine, another washer, and finally the nut.

I only ask because i hear a whining noise i didnt notice before... like maybe something was ever so slightly rubbing....

i did change the washer stack at the same time though .. so oo maybe this is why??? i used the stack under the clutch repair... it definitely engages much sooner... maybe even a lil sooner... but it was evening when i tried it out... so, ill ride it tomorrow for a short trip to brickell and back and then see how i feel about it... i may add another lil bit of stull for tack off...

any help with the lil light whinny noise im hearing would be greatly appreciated!! thanks guys... take care...

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
the bike is running well now... seems a lil rich off idle now with a load need to give it full throttle to smooth out.... i hate tuning carbs... but once i dial it in... it will be perfect... if anyone knows of a common ballpark 3 turns out air screw ect... id appreciate it... im at sealevel of course here in miami

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
so did you ever try it out with the 40t sprocket? and do these motors really have an internal gear reduction?

i am planning on getting a morini 9.4hp engine myself... but i'm wondering what rear sprocket size i should get... i'm a light and small guy, i weigh 125lbs, so i'm wondering if a 40t rear sprocket would pull me okay?