Stuck at a red light

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Indeed, having a flashing light on front of bike helps with signals a lot. I have dual M-Wave 5-LED headlights and when either one is on flash mode, I find traffic signals quickly change provided there is little or no traffic.

Otherwise, I just roll up to ped button.

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
i still flash my hi beams if theres knowone around and its for me. da i just run them. and if i get ticket i show my state id and it gets me out of a ticket. its worked three times now

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
They recently passed a law here in Memphis that bicycles or motorcycles do not have to stay stopped at a red light. We are legally allowed to stop and then go when it is clear at red lights now.

I did that anyway before they passed a law making it legal for me to do it.
One night several months back I was in a left-turn lane coming up behind a spandexter (pedal cyclist) and he was off his bike and jumping up and down on the sensor-pad burried in the pavement. I pulled up and offered to give it a try. He said he thought it would probably take a whole car to trip it (which has often been my experience). I ride onto it...and the light changes! Now, I knew the Micargi Huntington was a pretty heavy bike, but I started thinking about losing weight after that.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
This morning I was going East bound on Glen when I came to the intersection on Oracle Rd. Waited,waited,waited realized the light wont turn green.

So I got off my bike and hit the cross walk signal and finally I got a green light. But on my way back Westbound coming to the very same intersection I noticed this...see Photo. Which is really cool and so far the only one I have came across so far. It is about 10 yards before the intersection and cross walk.

But what has me puzzled is why do they have that bike crossing signal Westbound but not Eastbound on the very same street? Very odd....

Attachments

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
lol. Here in fl, i stay off the main roads since its illegal to ride these on the road. I ride on the back roads. When i have to cross a main road, i try to find a intersection that doesn't have a light.

stevenflintrichards

Apr 28, 2012
flint michigan
i kill the engine and if its safe i pedal through but i do come to a full stop before going through , there are a lot of un safe areas in flint where its not even a good idea to sit at the light in my truck

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
In ohio, most of the lights are not activated by weight, but by a coil under the pavement that senses metal, I either lean the bike down, drop the kickstand, (both rarely work) or as Ahia law permits- "treat the signal as a malfunctioning signal, and proceed as if it were a four way stop".

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That's just a magnet isn't it Aleman? I wonder if an old (smaller) speaker magnet sandwiched above a kickstand mount would do the same. Might not be a strong enough magnetic field though, which is what causes the newer style to change, not the metal(but metal causes a magnetic field). Just sayin' :p

Dave, they need switches like that with a flapper/paddle that you can whack when you go by! :) Instead of having to stop, heh heh. Patent Pending!! :p

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Traffic light trigger mechanisms for motorcycles and bicycles exist, too.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Light-Trigger-High-Strength/dp/B005UHON60

I doubt they would play nice with wireless speedometers, and I have no clue if they would affect magnetos.
They do not work... I also have no idea what it would do to the above mentioned devices but it dont matter. Dont buy it. It dont work... I thought I'd give it its best shot and bought TWO of them and wired them to the bottem of my last motorcycle ( A Buell X1 ) Had NO effect on ANY magnetic triggered light here in the ChandlerGilbertMesaMetroplex :) The Buell X1 is a stout piece of metal. Adding TWO of these did nothing. I always waited a bit to give a chance ( some are magnetic and timed ), had a good look round and just ran the damn thing.

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I just lean the bike sideways a bit over the metal circles or squares works everytime. Beofre I figured that out I would just cruise over to crosswalk button and push that :)

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Many states have started allowing lite vehicles between 2:00 am to 6:00 am to run red lights. You must come to a complete stop wait 10 minutes make sure traffic is clear then go. However I'd advise looking up your local laws to see if your state allows this.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many states have started allowing lite vehicles between 2:00 am to 6:00 am to run red lights. You must come to a complete stop wait 10 minutes make sure traffic is clear then go. However I'd advise looking up your local laws to see if your state allows this.
Larry,
I don't think I'd have the patients to wait for 10 minutes. Are you sure you didn't mean 10 seconds?

Tom

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Put on your glasses Tom, it's Jerry not Larry. Knowing my luck they'll take a picture of me or worse yet have a video. Big Brother has his eye on you.