Motor will not fire

GoldenMotor.com

daveswfla53

Jun 20, 2010
Naples
Anyone come across this before? I have a 80cc 2 stroke kit that i installed and ran it about 5 miles then it quit, would not spark.
I replaced the coil the magnito and magnito wheel, the spark plug, added a direct ground, tried starting with and without the kill switch connected, no luck.
Am i missing something?
Any help I would be grateful.
Dave

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Pull the plug and see if it's wet and oily. If it's fouled clean it and re try to start, or replace it with a known good plug.
Are you sure you're getting fuel?
Check the contact where the boot meets the plug- they seem to be fragile on the HT motors.
Check the wires from the ignition box, make sure they are secure.
Is the carb/intake torqued down properly?
If there is an air leak it may not run right, or at all.
Could your wires be crossed somehow, making the spark go to ground and not letting it fire?
Using good fuel at the correct oil ratio?

daveswfla53

Jun 20, 2010
Naples
My problem is spark not fuel.
I went through all wiring even plug wire everything is correct the same as my other builds that i have.
I have done 10 builds in the past 3 months and this 1 motor is a mystery to me.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If the mag is good, the wiring is good, the kill button is disconnected, the CDI box is good, the spark plug wire is good, the spark plug wire cap is good and firmly snapped onto the spark plug, the spark plug is good, and finally, the engine crank is quickly spinning, you will have spark.
If any of the above is amiss, you will not have spark.
Check it all out again, just don't pull your hair out like I have done in the past.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes, that is true. It will fit on 2 ways, correctly and backwards. If it is backwards it will still spark though, just that the spark will not be correctly timed.

daveswfla53

Jun 20, 2010
Naples
Here's one for the books.
My motor that won't spark;
I removed everything 1 piece at a time and installed on a working motor and started it each time,
that's the coil with plug wire, the plug. magnito and magnito magnet everything works the bike runs.
Now i took the parts that i know were good from the running bike and installed on other motor even flipping and replacing the magnito magnet. No kill switch installed no plug connectors, extra ground installed from motor to bike frame and guess what?? IT DON"T SPARK!!!!
My supplier called me last nite and said will replace it, i just need to pay shipping and was told to keep the one that won't start for parts.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Dave in Naples

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Aaaaaagh! That is highly annoying!!!
As a mechanic, I have dealt with similar situations before.
I would take it so far as to remove the crank gear from the transmission and turn the crank over with a drill motor attached the crank shaft stub, watching the magneto rotor spin on the other side of the engine, just to prove a point to myself. (am I weird?)
I had a similar bench top rig for diagnosing ignitions on Harleys.