Rotor Key way...

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
So what`s the trick to putting back on the magnet/stator/rotor on to the key on the shaft.....If I put the key on the shaft, the stator push`s it out of the groove as I push on the rotor.....Anyone know a trick????I took it off because the seal behind it was out....Help....
Paul.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Got it , finally.....Took a small amount of gray rtv and put it under the key and let it setup in the key way groove....Just sturdy enough to keep it there and not move while I pushed the rotor back on and slide right on to the key.....I put a little sealant around the seal too to keep it from popping off again, hopefully......Runs better now....

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
i had the same diffaculty, but what i did was put the key in the keyway and then i put the blade of a large flathead screwdriver onto the top flat part of the key and gave the shaft of the screwdriver a small wack with a socket wrench, that seemed to seat the key in the keyway so it wouldent move when i put the rotor on :)

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I thought about something similar but I thought I might muck up the end of the crank....I was gonna squeeze it on with some pliers or try to tap it on.....The blasted thing just wouldn`t sit still for a few seconds to let me get the magnet on.....Damn thing.....
Thanks for the tip next time....
Paul....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Stuart,
Woodruf keys can be a challenge especially if they're a little loose in the keyway. Your idea of holding it in place with RTV was a good one as long as you didn't allow it to get into the seal. You said you smeared a little on the seal to hold it in place. It shouldn't need anything to hold it. It should be a press fit into the case. If it was out of its bore there's a chance it was damaged by the magnet (rotor) rubbing against it. I've found them from the factory that were not driven into the bore correctly or not deep enough. When done right they should lay flush with the motor case and not protrude at all. Run the engine for a while then check to make sure you're not seeing oil inside the mag cover. Oil or fuel residue will tell you the seal is leaking and that can cause a lean condition caused by air being drawn into the crankcase through a bad seal. This will result in a poor running engine the same as if you had an air leak around the carburetor or intake manifold. Good luck, keep us posted.
Tom

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Well after reading your post I jumped up off the couch and walked over to the bike(it`s in the dinning room)....I`m divorced...And took off the cover to scope it out.....I inspected to seal when I had it out and besides a slight scuff mark it looked fine.....Woodruff key(thats the word I was looking for) looks to be in place and on the seal I just put a little bit on the outside of the seal to kind of act like a lock to keep it from coming back out again....No oil residue of any kind in there so I must be fine for now....I appreciate ya bringing this to my attention....I just bought a used motor off of the swap n shop segment on here....I want to strip it down and do a shade tree blue print on it....At 48 years old I have enough knowledge to at least make it better than it was, but not perfect.....For $75 It can be fixed up some.....
Thanks again,
Paul....