crying for help!

GoldenMotor.com

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
I took my bike for an extended cruise yesterday, put some serious miles on it. Then my regular chain popped off, I stopped to put it back on when to my utter dismay, the bike would not start again. When I release the clutch it doesn't create enough compression to pop start the engine. Is the clutch fried? Or is it more sinister like maybe I killed it? I don't see any leaking of fluid or gas on the engine other than excess leakage from leaving the petcock in the on position. I'm stumped and let me just add it sucks to pedal a 30+ pound bike with a 20 pound motor kit and a backpack that feels like an extra 40 pounds! HELP!!!!

:-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Is the clutch slipping???
If so, does the clutch cable have a tiny amount of slack in it?
Also, if the clutch is slipping & the cables fine, you can tighten the flower nut under the side cover one or two clicks.

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
ok here is the skinny, tried tightening the flower nut, loosening it, I have tight clutch pull, still i can push the bike disengaged relatively easy. I'm afraid it may be toast, please tell me it aint so....

:-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Maybe when the chain popped off, it sheared off a woodruff key in one of the engine gears??
Take off the side covers & roll the bike around & see if any of the gears are turning & the shaft isn't.

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
Maybe when the chain popped off, it sheared off a woodruff key in one of the engine gears??
Take off the side covers & roll the bike around & see if any of the gears are turning & the shaft isn't.
The regular bike chain fell off, not the motor chain, but inside the clutch cover there is that little gear that looks like you need a huge flathead screw driver to get it off, is there a shaft that may have sheered off inside there? I'm so bummed...

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but one time I stopped to take a leak on the side of the road, so I stopped, turned the motor off and did my thing. When I finished and tried to start the engine, it wouldn't start. I thought, "Bummer, I'm only 20 or so miles from home!"

I rolled it off the road and began to go over everything. For me, the problem was found in the spark plug wire. It had slipped out just enough where it wouldn't get spark. I used hose clamps and wire to keep it pulled into the cdi and it fired right up.

Another thing that will leave you on the side of the road is a clogged fuel filter.

I must carry about 10lbs of tools and other odds and ends with me everywhere I go, but it helps.

With these things, it could be just about anything that could go wrong, it seems, but they sure are fun!

.wee.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but one time I stopped to take a leak on the side of the road, so I stopped, turned the motor off and did my thing. When I finished and tried to start the engine, it wouldn't start. I thought, "Bummer, I'm only 20 or so miles from home!"

I rolled it off the road and began to go over everything. For me, the problem was found in the spark plug wire. It had slipped out just enough where it wouldn't get spark. I used hose clamps and wire to keep it pulled into the cdi and it fired right up.

Another thing that will leave you on the side of the road is a clogged fuel filter.

I must carry about 10lbs of tools and other odds and ends with me everywhere I go, but it helps.

With these things, it could be just about anything that could go wrong, it seems, but they sure are fun!

.wee.
X2......Anything can do wrong.....

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The 3 times mine would'nt start are: 1. ran out of gas(180mpg i forgot to put gas in),
2. gas petcock off, 3. kill switch button stuck in(was wedge between handlebar and brake lever).

One time my bike shut off was a loose ground wire.
So check all the small stuff before tearing into the engine.
You said you went many more miles than usually and something probally vibrated loose.

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
I've done the small stuff, I may just have to tear it apart. I have to give it the adjustment with the clutch pulled in, if that doesn't work it'll be time to dismantle. Arrggghhh!

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's another question... When you first take off from a dead stop, do you pedal to help the bike take off, or do you only use the clutch & no pedaling??

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
Here's another question... When you first take off from a dead stop, do you pedal to help the bike take off, or do you only use the clutch & no pedaling??
I pedal of course, but when I do that now there is no compression no matter how I adjust the clutch.
Spark plug is tight, clutch cable has resistance, still I can push the bike pretty easy with the clutch out...

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
When you say there's "no compression", does that mean the piston is going up & down & there's no compression in the cylinder??? Or the clutch is slipping & can't bite enough to spin the engine?

Did you take off the side covers & look at what the gears are doing?