your first car

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Re: First Car...

One of the best cars ever built. I had a 1972 Bug for years and never repaired one single thing. Those were the days! Three bucks worth of gas and you were good for the day.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

One of the first cars I had was a hand me down I got from my Grandmother
in 1983. It was this little German Opal Station wagon that was sold by Buick.
It was almost a toy with it's 4 on the floor and 1 liter engine.

I could get nearly 45 mpg with it with the wind behind me and gas wasn't any cheaper
then comparitivly. But I came to love it when all the other "big iron" boys of the day
made fun of it.

They had their Heavy Chevies, and big block wonders which sit torn down more than they
drove them. I always offered to let them throw their cylinder heads in the back and I'd haul
them to the machine shop with them riding "shotgun". In time the girls noticed that I was
always out and running around when they were washing and waxing cause they couldn't
afford any fuel. (kinda the male equivalant of the girls who sit in front of their dressing mirror
combing their hair all night when they don't have a date)

The little motor wasn't much larger than a sewing machine but it ran and ran and ran.

I learned the merits of having something I could afford to operate from that experience. I had
wanted this old "bathtub" Porsche S-90 a guy had but the deal didn't work out and that would
have had to have "sports car" insurance anyhow. (as if parts for it weren't made of solid gold)

I don't have an actual photo of it but this retouched image looks about like it in the day.
How I wish there was something like it you could buy new today.

Attachments

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona

Ok Ladies man, When I was your age, blah blah blah blah 69 Malibu 350 Edelbrock blah blah blah 69 GTO convertible blah blah blah 65 Malibu SS blah blah blah
blah blah blah you need a beater blah blah blah blah blah blah economical blah blah blah safe blah blah blah simple to fix blah blah blah.
(Blahs added as an interpretation of what we are all saying to you, as you hear it)

PS: Mitsubishi are the ones that helped bring us Pearl Harbor blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario

"angry old fart" now I know how you earned that handle....lol.rd.
You are probably right though....sort of like when my kids give me the "OK, I'll do it Dad" with no intention of following through. Such is life.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Very cool ladies. Sounds like you did your home work and know what your looking for. Is funny, I get confused about the name of the first girl I kissed but can describe my first car in great detail. (Vega and I beat a mustang in a street race. Great car but no one trusted alum. blocks)
Just remember that we all care about you and worry about younger folks and driving. 'cause if you knew what stupid stuff we did, you would wonder how we lived to get this old.

chicks dig hot cars. My Vega didn't get me many points, lol.

Take good care, of you and your passengers.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana

Save the fast car purchace for your mid life crisis and get a cheap dependable used beater . You need to take the time to get educated on how many idiot drivers there are that are out to get you . Use the extra money to further your education .

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My first car was a 66 Mustang with a 289. I blew up the motor and made the mistake of putting a pumped up 302 and trashed the 289. I had to get rid of it because it couldn't pass smog back in the 80's. I ended up trading it in for a new 85 Mustang GT and traded the 85 in after detroying the tranny for a new 93 T-100 (that's now sitting in my driveway in great condition). Then came the Bimmer then Infiniti and now...I drive a company mini van! Man, having kids changed my priorities. LOL

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
My first was a '89 Z71 Chevy truck. After a few tickets, wrecks and SR 22 insurance, I had to downgrade to a '87 Dodge Colt! God I hated that car, but it was damn tough. I tried for many years to kill it, then my brother tried, then it was given away still running. I still see it running down the road sometimes.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
1st 1972 Datsun 1500 One ton ute

2nd 1976 Dodge/Valiant 4.3 Hemi straight six ute, 200hp+

Mum liked Fiats, there was a 132 and a 131 and an old 500
bought for my sister to drive.

Dad liked Valiants/Chryslers I remember a '60's pushbutton auto wagon, then a 318 V8 sedan, and a few utes with the Aussie devoped straight six that made over 300hp from the factory with triple side draught webbers. Tuned examples of the 265 produce 400hp, true V8 eaters in their time.

Hot Sixes info,Performance Parts,straight & V6 speed equipment Chrysler 6 Valiant Hemi six

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
My first car was my 92 explorer. It is still my daily driver. I also have a 62 Lincoln Continental that I bought a few years ago.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
My first car is a 1993 2+2 NA 300zx with 222 hp and I would not have it any other way. Yes, I put a ton of money into it but I have never driven or rode in a more exciting and fulfilling car. Currently, I'm considering an upgrade to a twin turbo. I like my car so much that I never want to get a newer car. I'd be content driving a 300zx or a motorbike for much of my life. usflg

I have put endless time into maintaining my car and I take extra care to baby it whenever possible. I have learned practically everything that I know about cars and engines from my Z. If you go with a 3000gt/ Stealth be prepared for it to be non-functional most of the time. If anything breaks, you will need to be prepared to replace it yourself or suffer greatly from other mechanics who will try to rip you off. The 3000gt was also a knock-off of the 300zx by Mitsubishi and is not known for its reliability.

Good luck!

z2400969

Sep 10, 2009
San Jose
Back in 1995 I had just turned 17 and my parents held true to their word and bought me a car. It was a creamy yellowish 1972 Plymouth Scamp. I sold that for $300 and bought my fist love a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair. It was a monza 110hp dual carburetor. I had enough trouble with dual carbs, I could imagine the corsa's with their quad carb setup.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
1955 Plymouth business coupe,strait flat head 6 cyl,mystery shift 3 on the tree,looked similar too the chevy of that year only more streamlined (not as squared off)black for what paint was still on it ,thick metal,possibly bullet proof it could be dented but not easy,,,6 volt and started when dads wouldn't even crank in the winter,,,first flat was an eye opener,the lugnuts had left handed threads and no matter how hard I tryed they just wouldn't come off the reguler way,then a neighbor told me this tall tale about how dodge and ply's,had reverse direction threads on one side of the car the whole time thinking shuure they do,,but I finally tryed right turn on lug wrench and d*** he was tellin the truth it had sat for three days on the flat and heard some choise words

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
My $500 first car (no rust even) was a glorious 1975 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 350V8 w/a T400 (454 after I blew the 350) learned to drive street w/it in Philly at the ripe ol' age of 16... I've no sympathy for those whining about how "hard" they find it to parallel park their lil imports :p

Delivered pizza w/it back in the good ol' days when they still had the "20min or less or it's free" thang, resulting in the shameless destruction of many sets of tires, parking meters, trash cans, mailboxes, various parked cars (some not so parked), and one obnoxious taxi... but that's another story o.o

Being the spaz so common fer a guy that age, picture an inner-city 'Road Warriors' - dumb I may have been but I gotta say there's nothin' like gettin' a car that huge n'heavy to fly through the air w/the greatest of "ease" - leaving an instant pothole in the asphalt every landing (crossmember). Given my favorite lil hill was just around the corner from the pizza place - well, you can imagine the abuse.

I didn't find out till years later that it was a collector's item ofc. *sigh* I do so miss that beast :(

*pic is unfortunately not mine BTW, no pics exist of said "dark ages"... perhaps that's a good thing lol

Attachments

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL

Nothing better than a bug. Reliable, easy to diagnose (one vacuum hose, if that), cheap to fix and since they are becoming more and more scarce, it is a conversation magnet.

I remember being poor and snapped my clutch cable. I had to wait three weeks to afford a new one. I drove that bug for three weeks by starting it in 1st then power shifting it. I hated stop lights, but I got to know my car intimately. Many more stories... some other time...
Jim

I found a pic of my Bug! Dang do I miss that thing

I remember this day very well, I was putting in a stereo and a new throttle cable.