Does anybody sell just the 4-stroke mounting kit?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Alright, so Bicycle_engines.com sells a Grubee Stage III kit but are any of the other possibilities available if you want to mount something other than a GX50 or HS engine? It seems like Firebelly's kit is still vaporware and AFAIK EZMotorbikes only sells their equipment with an engine. So are there any other options available? I think I'll pass on the Hoot but the Grubee 4G T is sounding interesting. I'm still trying to figure out my 48 cc or less options. Am I correct in believing that all of these kits work from an engine that has it's own integral centrifugal clutch and a 5/8" shaft.

Right now I am looking at the Honda GX35 or the Robin-Subaru EH035 as the main possibilities, but I'm open to suggestions.

scratg

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello Finfan, well I do not know what this "word" (AFAIK) means! BUT I do know a bunch about Motor Bicycles, absolutely know EZM, and am familiar with several of the currently popular 4-strokes, so here is a little about them.

Honda GX31, GX35, small, with cent clutch on the short crank, the versions I have seen use 76mm clutch, and the hub is installed kinda "recessed" into the crankcase.

Robin Subaru 35cc uses a similar clutch, flush with the mounting flange also. Titan, Hoot Chain-drive, and Grube 4G all have similar 76MM clutch, again pretty flush with an extended engine case.

These engines will work on the friction, and other systems that use the 78mm clutch bells, and are not well-suited to the better in-frame systems.

Typical Hoot has 15.1MM turned down crankshaft with 3/16 key-way. Grube gear drive boxes have 16mm or 5/8 nominal crankshaft sticking out the side, less engine case on the right side (about 1 inch). These have a key way that is a little smaller than 3/16.

Honda GX50 5/8 shaft, 3/16 key way, easy deal, bad carb hookup. I and WE at EZM use 15.1mm, and 5/8 shaft that stick out the side of the engine. Easy deal, works well, no worries.

HF Greyhound we have already done, no big deal, a bolt-on for the Q-Matic, or Silent Power Drives.

We are looking into adapters for the "challenged" crankshaft models.

EZM does not use the little on-board weed eater type clutches, we made our own system (Silent Power) and use Max Torque (Q-Matic) special series clutches, no Chinese weed eaters to power us.

The Q-Matic is now availble as a stand-alone product, to be used on whatever the customer dreams up.

This should answer some of your questions?

Mike

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
That's what I love about this forum, ask and you will get answers!

I've looked at the Staton kits but they don't seem to have anything for a simple in frame mount.

Thanks for the info Mike! You may get some PM's as I try to work out the details of this plan. Progress of course will mainly depend on my employment status and income. I think I may want to quiz you on what is involved in fabbing a converter for one of those "challenged" engines.

Thanks!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Fin,
I don't know if vaporware is quite right but Dan and I will be puting it through it's rigors before it is brought to market.
FireBelly does sell custom aluminum engine mounts, "standard" engine mounts are $57 and custom are $77 made to fit virtually any motor in virtually any frame. Price on website is wrong, I thought my wife edited that error, so thanks for bringing it to my attn.!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Thanks! I'm afraid I use vaporware to refer to any product that is still in development but not available. Would "Unobtainium" be better?

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
That's what I love about this forum, ask and you will get answers!

I've looked at the Staton kits but they don't seem to have anything for a simple in frame mount.

Thanks for the info Mike! You may get some PM's as I try to work out the details of this plan. Progress of course will mainly depend on my employment status and income. I think I may want to quiz you on what is involved in fabbing a converter for one of those "challenged" engines.

Thanks!

Why are you bent on in-frame? The Staton kit was very easy to install. I guarantee an in-frame kit won't be easier. I like my engine behind me. Maybe other people don't like the engine in the back.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Why are you bent on in-frame? The Staton kit was very easy to install. I guarantee an in-frame kit won't be easier. I like my engine behind me. Maybe other people don't like the engine in the back.
I really like the way my current bike is set up and the only way I can keep that is to use an in frame system. I want to go to a 4-stroke for improved reliability and the ability to fuel up at any gas station, and I want to be as legal as can be so I don't end losing my ride because some cop with an attitude happens to know small engines. That leads me to developing this rather hair brained plan.

Besides I like to tinker!
scratg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
What is the law in AZ Fin? 20 MPH and under 35cc? Have been thinking of making a kit with 35s

As a consumer, what would you like to see in one? I was thinking an option of belt drive but that is turning in to a bit of a pain. Do really like the looks and sound of a belt drive though

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
What is the law in AZ Fin? 20 MPH and under 35cc? Have been thinking of making a kit with 35s

As a consumer, what would you like to see in one? I was thinking an option of belt drive but that is turning in to a bit of a pain. Do really like the looks and sound of a belt drive though
The law here is that you must keep your speed less than 20 mph and the engine can be no more than 48 cc. Apparently they took into account the availability of 49 cc engines when they made the law.

The reason I'm looking for a 4-stroke system is for long term reliability although I wouldn't object to a nice quiet belt drive. I'm trying to build something I can use for a commuter on a regular basis. I'm rather tired of figuring out fixes for studs that stripped out of an aluminum case. My current engine has WAY too much JB Weld in it!

Hi FinFan,

2 years on my EZ bike, not even a loose bolt!

On my prototype... zero problems.

Over 2600 miles on one and approx 1200 on the other.

4-stroke is the way to go, and staying legal is a good idea. Easy take-off [no pedling], high MPG, great cruising speed, great sound, and far less maintanence.

Biggest problem is to remember to check the gas [it uses so little, it is easy to forget].

Have fun,

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The 4s really are nice. More umph and less vibes. Not saying I don't love the ChinaGirls, I do.

Been shopping for under 48cc. Will let ya know. Really wish the Greyhounds came that small. sweet lil runners.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The two main contenders in the under 49 cc category appear to be the RS EH035 and the Honda GX35. I'm leaning toward the EH035 just because it appears to be the higher quality engine.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Finfan, one of our guys mounted that RS on a Silent Power, I did not get to ride that, as it was in Michigan. I have, however ridden to RS 35's a GEBE, and a BMP (I think) friction drive.

The GEBE was brand new, not broke in, and was less power than the friction, BUT, even at my 300 lbs, it pulled me, and would run at least 25. I did not get a chance to ride that GEBE much, because its owner had put airless tires on it, and it rolled a rear tire right off the rim in my court, so I was afraid to ride the second bike much, did not want to damage it. The friction bike was broke in, and ran ok, no match for my bike (we were trading off bikes), but who would expect it to be?

The adapter for RS 35 is definately do-able, tho I do not have a test engine. If I ran across one really cheap I would consider building it out into a small frame bike myself (like my 65 StingRay).

keep in touch, let me know if I can help,

Mike

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
There's a guy on the Swap & Shop page claiming to have some EH035s for cheap although I know nothing about him. Right now I need to get funding together before I move on this. Since I also have another project in the works it may be a while but at least I have a plan worked out now.