Hey whats up, help please

GoldenMotor.com

turtlezinacoma

Aug 22, 2009
New York City
Hey dude guy men,

I'm a new poster from Harlem, New York.

I've been reading this forum for a while to see if buying one of these bicycle kits was actually a good idea, or just some overseas scam thing. I decided to buy one, and I had no trouble installing it, except for the clutch. No matter how hard i pull on the clutch lever, it won't disengage from the motor. Is it supposed to be very difficult to disengage? Could it be stuck? Do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Please help me I'm ready to start riding!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The clutch will stick on a lot of these motorized bicycle kits. Remove the left sprocket cover and give the pin in the middle of the sprocket a whack with a small ball peen hammer.

turtlezinacoma

Aug 22, 2009
New York City
no theres nothing wrong with the clutch handlebar thing, its sticking inside the motor itself. Is the sprocket the big black circle thing inside the grey thing? I'll give it a shot, I just wanna be sure im hammering the right thing

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes. Take off the left (as you are sitting on the bike) side, rearmost cover. You will see the sprocket (thingy that looks like a 12 sided star). In the middle of that is a rod (about as big as a pencil) Tap it with a hammer. If that doesn't do it, give it a "smart blow" with the hammer.

Keep us posted with results.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Another thought/observation based on my (limited) experience. On the second kit I received , the clutch gear was stuck. Even with the clutch pulled and the clutch friction plate off, the big gear would spin the smaller drive gear.

This is how mine freed up. Pull the right side cover, remove small set screw and flower nut. Remove clutch friction plate and tap on the three location dowels. With the clutch friction plate off, the inner 3 pins need to spin independently of the outer gear. I actually pulled the clutch out to discover it was seized but I don't see why you couldn't tap it in place.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Better advice than mine fo'sho'.... ;) The above technique will do the job in a safer and more sane manner than the "hammer" method.

Thanks!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Be carefull! I have read that NY is logically challenged in the law department and aparently hates gas powered MB's. The electric ones are approved for some silly reason.
The poolice will confiscate your gas burning MB at the slightest chance.
Some folks in your neck o' the woods want to start a grass roots effort to make these awesome forms of ecologically friendly transportation legal.

The only reason I am telling you this it to hopefully save you from alot of grief and a PITA dealing with the poolice.

I do not wanna be a rain cloud on your picnic!

turtlezinacoma

Aug 22, 2009
New York City
I happen to live in a neighborhood where people ride fourwheelers and dirtbikes on the sidewalk all day long. No one ever seems to bother them... I want to use this bike to go on a trip across canada, I've read that they are completely there.

The clutch advice worked! The bike is totally operational now. I'm going to try and start it later tonight. How fast do you have to be going to get the motor started? I tried starting it in my house a little bit, and I could hear it starting KIND of, but i dunno. Is it difficult to start the first time?

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Uhmmm- I wouldn't start it in the house. It could get ugly real quick. At the very least it would stink up the house.
As far as start up speed perhaps 5-10mph.
Glad to hear clutch is now free.

With my limited experience, I would be very hesitant to do a "trip across Canada" without all of my tools and extra fasteners and perhaps even an extra kit. They just aren't that reliable. Remember, these are just inexpensive Chinese motors on a bike frame. They certainly aren't a Honda Goldwing but they are still great fun.