Do you have a shimano 8 speed int. gear hub?

GoldenMotor.com

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
My SBP shift kit works great, but after snapping the axle off of my shimano alfine, it occurs to me that putting a 24t gear at the pedals and a 23t on the hub might be a bit more torque than the hub can handle when I start the motor with the pedals.
What kind of gear ratio (pedal-gear vs. Rear sprocket) are other people running? And what kind of results did you get?
Thanx

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My SBP shift kit works great, but after snapping the axle off of my shimano alfine, it occurs to me that putting a 24t gear at the pedals and a 23t on the hub might be a bit more torque than the hub can handle when I start the motor with the pedals.
What kind of gear ratio (pedal-gear vs. Rear sprocket) are other people running? And what kind of results did you get?
Thanx
Why not just change the gear ratio to something easier on the hub when you start the motor?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Most hubs that I know of require a 2:1 ratio or higher. That would mean you'd need a 46T or higher on the crank.

I saw your post in another thread that said you didn't have a lot of sprocket clearance. Looks like a dilemma!

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
I'm trying to which is why I'm trying to find out what the lowest ratio that has worked is. Speed is not a concern I want low end power