Idea/theory about pull start.

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have an idea, and I need an opinion from someone with a really good understanding of these engines. Ok, here goes......

I assembled a 2 stroke chinese engine with a centrifugal clutch. The clutch failed, and this engine does not operate with a manual clutch at all. The engine came with the centrifugal clutch factory installed. I have decided not to attempt to repair the clutch, so please no questions about it. Here is what I need an answer on. I have another engine with a manual clutch, and I think I can use the pull start on it. Not the centrifugal clutch, it will still be fully manual. But I think I can use the pull start to start the engine in place with the manual clutch disengaged, thereby starting the engine in the neutral/idle position. The pull start will rotate the magnet and the crankshaft, producing spark and moving the piston (at least in theory). If that theory is wrong, I thought I could use the pull start to start the engine in gear, but I would have to hold the back wheel up, because pulling the pull start with the engine in gear would cause the engine to turn the back wheel. So any accurate advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
i'll give you my perspective but you may not like it. the pull start is a waste of money and breaks easily. our ht engines start very easily pedal starting.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thank you, but I didn't ask about the quality of the pull start. I asked if I could use the pull start to start an engine with a manual clutch. For one, I already have the pull start, so I figured I might as well use it. This pull start is metal. I am fully aware of the quality of the pull start. The main issue I have with it is the cable breaking, but that was because the other engine was difficult to start. The whole reason I got an engine with a pull start was so I COULD start it in place. You may like pedal starting your bike, but I would prefer to start mine in place. Again, anyone with a specific answer to my specific question, feel free to answer.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Lock the clutch handle (disengage) and you will be able to start the engine using the pull start. You will not have to lift up the rear wheel.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i broke at least 4 or 5 steel cables now. was ready to junk it, but found some nylon rope and coated it in paraffin wax. havent wound it up yet. hopefully it will hold up better than the cables did. might try to convert the pull starter to a kick starter eventually. figured out how, just need tools and materials to do it. it would be a reverse kick start. also need to take a closer look at the housing to see if it would actually work or not.