Can my carb be tilted and still operate ? ?

GoldenMotor.com

auggie77

Feb 15, 2011
st. louis
Hi, Can my carb be tilted and still operate ? ? That is, Can my new skyhawk engine with the new carb with the bent long intake, go on as my engine is tilting forward on my beach cruiser??

All other carbs sat upright and float bowl was always Level. Do ya know what i mean? It just doesnt look right , like it cant hold gas in the carb level , than how does the carb work if it's tilting forwards, or backwards?

Any help would be great.

auggie

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Excessive tilt can lead to max RPM @ wide open throttle starvation issues - the bowl will run dry as it's usable volume is reduced when it's at an angle. Oddly, some setups seem more forgiving than others & honestly I can't explain that... it could be that the engine itself simply isn't reaching it's full potential for other reasons *shrug*

So, generally speaking it's best to run the carby as level as possible. On one of my previous builds this required cutting a slot in the manifold and bending it a touch more, then rewelding it - much like they did at the factory to get the original "bend". It would ofc be better to make a custom intake without that restrictive cut/bend style, to have a smooth curve... but it's an easy fix anyway ;)

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
No, it it can't be tilted and when you ride, it must be on straight and level roads. No hills or turns which could affect the forward/aft and lateral tilt of the carb :)

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
No, it it can't be tilted and when you ride, it must be on straight and level roads. No hills or turns which could affect the forward/aft and lateral tilt of the carb :)
you know someone is reading that and believing it all joking aside I do have an adjustable sprocket for sale