How to Upgrade your Bicycle Crank

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If your bicycle is a cheap Chinese bike like mine this may be of interest to you.

The cranks on cheap bicycles usually have caged ball bearings in what's called the bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is the part of the frame where the crank, and crank bearings fit into. There's really nothing wrong with a caged ball bearing crank except it requires regular maintenance. Considering all the maintenance a motor bicycle already needs, any way we can cut down on it sounds like a good thing.

If your bicycle has a 3 piece crank you're good to go, but if it's a 1 piece you'll need to buy crank arms too. You'll also need some special tools, but they don't count because you need them just to maintenance the stock crank.

What we're going to do is change the stock caged ball bearing crank spindle, for a sealed bottom bracket cartridge. Total cost not including special tools was about $10 for mine.

When I took my crank apart this is what I found. Here's a look at the crank spindle, caged bearings, the LH bearing cup, and lock ring. One thing we don't see much of is bearing grease.

This is the bottom bracket cartridge we're going to install in place of the caged bearing assembly. These cartridges come in different sizes. You'll need to measure two things to know what size you need.

1. Measure the width of your bottom bracket. Mine was 68 mm
2. Measure the width of your crank spindle. Mine was 122 mm

You can see the one I bought for my bike is a, Chin Haur 52-68 122

That means it's made by Chin Haur and it's model 52. The size is
68 x 122 mm. I'm assuming the BC1.37 x 24 thread size must be pretty standard because the mechanic at the bike shop didn't even ask about it.

The first thing we have to do is remove the crank arms. You'll need a crank arm removal tool.

Now what we're looking at are the bearing cups and lock ring. This may be a problem because cheap bicycle bearing cups aren't uniform so the special tools to take them apart might not be readily available. The lock ring side wasn't to difficult, but the chain side on my bike was a challenge. Bottom brackets are usually screwed in pretty tight.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
As you can see my RH bearing cup had 6 splines. I couldn't find a special tool to remove it but I was able to make a special tool out of a nut using a grinder. Depending on the shape of your bearing cup you'll have to come up with your own solution. If you have to destroy it to get it out it won't matter because it won't be needed anymore anyway.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is a view of the bottom bracket totally stripped. When you get this far all the hard work is done. Now it's easy to install the BB cartrage. You can see that the BB is threaded so the new BB cartrage just screws in. I used a special tool that the bike shop sold me to install the BB cartrage and torque it to 350 in lb. The same tool fit both sides of the BB.

Now all we have to do is install the crank arms. No special tool is required, just tighten the crank arm bolts.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now the crank is a hundred % maintenance free. Normally these sealed cartrages last 30,000 + miles, but considering how little most of us MB riders peddle, that should be a lifetime.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I miss some of the simplicity of the old one piece cranks. you could use shims on it and make it perfectly asymmetrical with the bikes and my self. What I don't personally like with the Chin Haur listed above is it cannot be moved to the right or the left it goes on an d that's where it sits . In better words one is lucky if it is even with the frame or themselves so to speak.

This has been one of my grievances with this design. I often thought too why did they not simply make it adjustable.

Chin Haur listed above has a fixed side on it with a permanent collar that prevents ''right left'' side to side fine tuning. Also the bottom bracket cannot be flipped because of this to accommodate the rare uneven bike frame as one of the cups on the bracket are permanent and the threads are different for the right and left side of the bike itself.

This style bottom bracket the two out side threaded end pieces that thread in the bike frame can be truly put right or left and made totally even. The said end pieces will go all the way inside of the bike frame unhindered by a huge collar as these have none. Google

Phil Wood & Co.

Bikeman: Phil Wood Bottom Bracket Bearing Removel Tool

With going rain alone and general elements it has been my experience that I have to gently remove the seals on my bottom brackets and repack them every 6000 to 10,000.

Shimming Eccentric Bottom Brackets - Pvdwiki

These are ubber kewl because now a guy can nonchalantly adjust his chain tension with style and ease in recumbent custom builds !!

Click here eccentric bottom brackets pictures - Google Search

Attachments