grubee stage III gearbox can that lockup?

GoldenMotor.com

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
hello, I want to build a beach cruiser with the 49cc HS with grubee stage III gear box. I prefer to use the ten tooth solid output sprocket on the gear box instead of the stock 11 tooth freewheel sproket because the overall reduction ratio is better for hills and acceleration, and they are more reliable. Is it possible that the gearbox could lockup like if a tooth off that clutchbell gear broke off and lodged itself between the other gears in there or some other safety problem the solid sprockett could cause? Safety, reliability and hill climbing ability are the priorities in that order. Should I go with the ezm automatic with a honda? That there would be 150 to 200 dollars extra just to get the ratio to around 20.72 to 1. I realize that extra money would buy double the quality. Thankyou for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it. I have a GEBE tanaka 40cc, I would like a frame mount because I like the way they look. I'm still learning and I'm slow to learn. I get a lot of satisfaction and plain fun with the 1300 miles I've ridden mostly last year on my motorized bicycle. Thanks again.

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
ZEAN ill see if I can give some useful info. I have a hs motor 1271 miles on the motor
About 1000 of them with grubee stage 111 transmission. The in and out gear is
Is more trouble then it`s worth. Most guys just lock it in gear that takes care
Of that.with oil in the gear box the clutch slips and gets so hot that the
oil Is burnt black after about 50 miles. After that I greased at lest every
100 or so miles. If not it would make so much noise it would sound
Like a siren. I could not put up with all that noise. I put a ezm on it about 200
Miles ago. It has 11 tooth up front 56 on the rear. I’m not interested
I’m going over 35 mph. it`s very hilly were I ride. I ordered a 70 tooth
From blow by you. If it will cruse at 25 mph ill be happy.If you can put
Up with all the noise and work the stage 111 for you.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
thankyou cigron for your reply. I've odered an ezm kit since then. I've read a lot of satisfaction about this kit. I can't wait to start building a simple, clean straight-foward in frame motorized bicycle. I don"t expect it to be simple. I'm going to follow Silverbear"s thread on ezm kit installation. His thread is good advertising for the company, and I like the style of frames and the looks of his builds. They are basic not flashy and good quality. thankyou both for sharing your knowledge.